Robin Hobb's Reviews > Seven Blades in Black

Seven Blades in Black by Sam Sykes

Ah, the usual caveat! I know Sam Sykes and I read this book as an Advance Reading Copy, an edition sent to me for free by the publisher. As always, this does not affect my review of the book.

Seven Blades in Black weighs in at a substantial 771 pages; the edition I have is a chunk! For fantasy readers who enjoy a complete immersion in a new world with a unique magic system, this book is for you. In a time when most new fantasies seem to be part of a trilogy or longer series, Seven Blades in Black is a stand alone story with a completely satisfactory ending. Even so, there is plenty of room in the world and setting for other tales to be told.

WHOOPS! Editing this! Unbeknownst to me at the time I posted this, this is book one of a trilogy! But I will repeat that I found the ending satisfactory! So if you want a great big read that can lead to even more big books, this is a solid entry point!

I try to refrain from spoilers in my reviews. Instead, I'll tell you that the narrator protagonist is a unique character. As her back story unfolds along with the action, pieces fall into place in a very satisfactory way. But it's not only the protagonist who is believable; the other characters evolve with the story. This is a story where the villains are as memorable as the heroes, and sometimes the dividing lines between them are narrow indeed.

There is action, humor and romance, as well as magic in a well developed setting. Its a solid read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seven Blades in Black.

Started Reading
December 22, 2018 – Finished Reading
December 28, 2018 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Federico (new) - added it

Federico Elías Robin Hobb recommends, Federico reads

message 2: by Brandy (new) - added it

Brandy Walls Federico i second that. Just added to my wishlist.

message 3: by Elaine (new) - added it

Elaine I appreciate reviews that don't give away the entire plot and a recommendation from you is enough to move this book onto by to read list, even if it is a 770 page start to a trilogy.

message 4: by Frances Kelly (new)

Frances Kelly Love the sound of this book would like to read it Frances Kelly

message 5: by Carolyn (new) - added it

Carolyn I also agree with Federico!

message 6: by Gonzo (new)

Gonzo Punkstick Have every book you have ever written. I'm sold. I'll go out and plunk my hard earned cash on the table at Barnes n Noble. ( only paper for me see) You could recommend Flying Kites in High Winds in May( I hope this isn't an actual book title)and I would give it a go. Nice Review.