J.J. Hughes's Reviews > The Skeletons of Birkbury

The Skeletons of Birkbury by Diana J. Febry

The Skeletons of Birkbury is the story of a twenty-year-old mystery in the English countryside. During a storm, a tree blows over on a horse farm, revealing the hidden body, of a young woman, buried there. The subsequent police investigation takes the reader to the inside of an English country village. The characters are many and varied, from the; toffee-nosed land-owners to the hard-working labourers. All the characters have a special fell that is both fascinating and quirky. I think the author's characterisation is what makes this story stand out. Despite the odd-ball set it is easy to empathise and find common ground with each of her characters.

This is a murder/police mystery that hooked me from the beginning and I think I was as keen to get to the bottom of it as were the main characters. Peter and Fiona. It's perhaps a bit of a cliché but this was one mystery I couldn't put down until I'd solved it and was sure I'd solved it correctly. If you like quintessentially English detective novels, you'll love this one. A great read, for sure.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Skeletons of Birkbury.

December 28, 2018 – Started Reading