Nick Brett's Reviews > Siege

Siege by Simon Kernick

Jan 19, 2012

I’ve always enjoyed Simon Kernick’s gritty London based thrillers, and this one was a new direction for the author. Maintaining the London setting Simon Kernick appeared to have deserted his usual character options (until Tina Boyd appears half way through!) for a hotel siege story. A fancy central London hotel is the target for an audacious terrorist plan (the author tries hard to avoid the standard Muslim fundamentalist route here with some interesting dynamics and viewpoints) and becomes the subject of the siege of the books title. I have to confess it took me a while to get into it and I initially felt slightly dis-engaged – it felt like a typical disaster movie where you are introduced to many characters who will be affected, but have minimal emotional engagement with any of them. But then it really kicks in and your perception of some of the characters changes and you finally join the dots that the author has gently been putting in front of you. Once we get into the siege the action really takes off, as do the twists and the characters and, where the book could have slowed down, it actually speeds up.

From my initial slight dis-engagement I ended up spinning the pages late into the night. To date Simon Kernick has never let me down and this book is no exception.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Siege.