Jo Ladzinski's Reviews > The Similars

The Similars by Rebecca Hanover

32067918

bookshelves: ala2018, net-galley

Read an eARC provided by Sourcebooks via NetGalley

I have a really specific itch when it comes to SF YA and that's the mix of near future and elite boarding school shenanigans. The Similars scratches it perfectly.

Emma is such an unlikable protagonist. She's grieving, angry, and wants someone to reach out while simultaneously swatting every potential friend away. The reader never meets her as a more bubbly version of herself, which I found rather effective in becoming close to her. Her decisions are rather haphazard, in a very realistic way.

The discussion around cloning added to the world-building of this near-future United States. I enjoyed how Hanover explored the world beyond Darkwood Academy, and the in-class discussions did not feel forced.

The twists throughout are well thought-out, though a little bit much. I see the #1 next to the title and I think a piece of it could have been saved for early book #2.

Overall, a thrilling ride from start to finish, as a girl seeks to unearth the new kids' secrets and digs deeper into deadly truths.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Similars.

December 28, 2018 – Shelved
December 28, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
December 28, 2018 – Shelved as: ala2018
December 28, 2018 – Shelved as: net-galley
December 29, 2018 – Started Reading
December 29, 2018 –
page 45
11.66% "This book is hitting an awfully specific elite high school science fiction itch for me."
December 31, 2018 –
page 71
18.39% "O MY STUDENT STRATIFICATION

This is such a high school book, but more of the anime variety"
January 2, 2019 –