Tari's Reviews > Dead as a Door Knocker

Dead as a Door Knocker by Diane Kelly

bookshelves: winters-respite-2019, wulfwyn-cozy-bingo-2019

One of the cool things about this book is that just as you don't want it to end, there's a little sneak preview of the next book at the end! It goes right into the same time of year too. I'm so anxious to find out when that next book is coming out!

Whitney Whitaker was a carpenter and a property manager who was about to become a real estate agent and a house flipper with her cousin Buck as her partner, after her real estate agency's biggest client offered her a house for a steal of a deal. The house quickly became a huge source of trouble, starting with Sawdust her cat finding a dead body in the flower bed. Since Whitney's hammer was the weapon, she became the main person of interest, so she knew she had another job cut out for her: prove her own innocence or go down for something she didn't do. Her good friend Colette and her cousin Buck for always up for adventures!

The suspenseful scene that took place before there was a showdown was pretty cool, and Sawdust got to have a major part in that--way to go, sweet kitty! When Whitney insisted on going with Det. Flynn to the showdown with the killer, she somewhat came in handy. I had another person pegged for this murder, although I'd made a random comment early in the book for no reason whatsoever of "oh, I wonder if s0-and-so did it." There were good red herrings and secrets along the way. Now that I've read the little preview for the next book that comes at the end of this one, I'm probably going to be checking Amazon regularly to see when it comes to presale! Hopefully getting the author's newsletter will take care of that though.

I just fell in love with these characters! Mr. and Mrs. Hartley were the nicest people, who wouldn't want to have bosses just like that. Buck was a hoot and I'm wondering if he and Whit's friend Colette might get together eventually. I loved the camaraderie of the three of them. Whit actually had a great relationship with her parents--I'm always a fan of that! They weren't in it a lot, but they were super nice people. I'm not really a fan of the neighbor of the house they were flipping though. Patty seems like nothing but a complainer. And of course there's Det. Flynn who is a cat person like Whitney--I really hope they get together eventually! Last but not least whatsoever, Sawdust the cat was such a sweetheart! I thought it was fun how every so often there was a one or two-page chapter coming from his view-point, third person as written, but still giving the cat's thoughts--especially about a one-eyed mechanical demon that came to life when Whitney was gone!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead as a Door Knocker.

December 28, 2018 – Shelved