Jeff's Reviews > The Fires of Heaven

M 50x66
Jul 06, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy

I’m going to give the same review to all the Wheel of Time books I’ve read because ultimately they all run together so much their distinctions blur. I read them between 2001 and 2002 and at first couldn’t put them down. Jordan creates a fascinating, well-designed and intricately detailed world and populates it with interesting characters. The plots are well constructed and alternate seamlessly between energy-packed action and fight scenes and engaging mystery and suspense. However, as book after book wore on the series became ponderous, starting to collapse under its own weight. It became iterative and when loose ends needed to be wrapped up he would create even more plot lines. Also, Jordan seems to crib certain topoi from “Dune,” such as the idea of the murderous super-race of desert dwellers and the concept of the characters chosen by fate for world-shaping destiny, two topoi I find disturbing and clichéd. These books did entertain me for a while, and because of their strong points I would be remiss to give them less than three stars, but I eventually stopped reading the series as it became bloated and superfluous.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fires of Heaven.