Louise's Reviews > Bertie's Gift

Bertie's Gift by Hannah Coates

I've been saving this book for a while now because I knew it would be the perfect Christmas read. If you're feeling frazzled by last-minute shopping trips and over-excited children, make yourself a nice hot chocolate and lose yourself in the world of Bertie the beagle.

The book is written by Bertie himself (they're very clever those beagles!). He starts his life with his little sister Molly by his side but things go horribly wrong and the two end up separated. There are lots of other dogs in the book and Bertie beautifully describes all the different personalities and really brings the dogs (and cats) to life.

Bertie goes on a mission firstly to reunite with Molly and secondly to bring some happiness to the family who adopted him. He has a massive heart, a mischievous streak, and talent for spotting when things don't appear as they seem. There were truly heartwarming moments and times when I reached out for the tissues because Bertie's story really pulled at my heartstrings. However, there were some really funny moments too, when the cheeky pup gets himself into trouble, yet again.

I'm always glad to see rescue dogs feature in novels and would like to thank Hannah Coates for highlighting the subject of homeless dogs.

If you love Christmas, reading, and dogs this book has it all. An enchanting and emotional story told by a very special dog.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bertie's Gift.

Finished Reading