Alyssa Carlier's Reviews > Jade City

Jade City by Fonda Lee

bookshelves: favorites

I highly recommend reading JADE CITY, a thrilling epic fantasy that has some of the best worldbuilding I’ve seen, ever. Forget Game of Thrones, the scale and complexity of THIS world will knock you over.

Shout out to Aentee and cw for recommending this book to me!

I listened to the audiobook, which means this review is going to be extremely unhelpful as I try desperately to avoid referring to details that I’m sure are at least 60% wrong or any names at all.

I liked:
- Fonda Lee is a master at worldbuilding and that is all. Powers from jade?? Mafia wars?? YES PLEASE I am DONE with boring eurocentric epic fantasy!
- Okay, she’s also written the COOLEST characters, like Shae, who is a Kaul but isn't wearing/using jade at the beginning of the story -- a suave and intensely relatable character. I can’t tell you about the rest of them, not because I can’t look them up, but because it would take me forever to reconcile myself with their correctly spelled names and I can’t deal with that emotional burden in ADDITION to my heartbreak and pain after reading this. but literally they’re ALL SO COOL and compelling. please take my word for it.
- The plot, gosh. I am in awe of how this book manages to keep high tension but slow pace and then will swiftly turn to destroy you.

I didn’t like:
- occasionally there were a few boring characters or moments. For example, Bero, whose name I thought was Barrow but okei fine Bero it is, was an interesting jade thief but then he sort of faded out of the story and then when he reappeared I didn’t know what the heck he was still doing and liked everyone else more already. Sorry Bero!

P.S.: The audiobook was awesome and let me really enjoy reading this book. Loved the narrator, too!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jade City.

Finished Reading