Ryan Bross's Reviews > Ceremony

U 50x66
Jan 18, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: currently-reading

Overall the book Ceremony by Leslie Marmom Silko was a decent read. I would give Ceremony a 3 out of 5. I enjoy books that deal with war, which is the reason I chose this book in the first place. The two men Tayo and Rocky return from the war with the Japanese after WWII and have a hard time returning to normal life on the reservation in Mexico.The Indians in Mexico are having a hard enough time holding true to their values and the men make that a harder task. The reason they make it harder is they are used to interacting with modern life, while Indians are true only to traditions. I connected this book with the men and women who serve in the military today. Some veterans have a hard time reentering the normal lifestyle after seeing warfare and feel like they are outcasts. Reading Ceremony showed me that although you can't always tell who is having a tough time fitting in, there is a chance that they feel uncomfortable. I would recommend this book to anyone who appreciates a read dealing with war and the effects it has on humans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ceremony.