Lee's Reviews > Night Boat to Tangier

Night Boat to Tangier by Kevin Barry

I'm throwing stars about like there's no end to them at the moment but: this is Barry's best work and is stupendously good, and forms part of a Booker longlist that's potentially as interesting/excellent as any I can remember.

'There comes a time when you just have to live among your ghosts. You keep the conversation going. Elsewise the broad field of the future opens out as nothing but a vast emptiness '

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Night Boat to Tangier.

December 27, 2018 – Shelved
December 27, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
August 7, 2019 – Started Reading
August 8, 2019 –
40.0% "Time? It's like fluff on the breeze"
August 9, 2019 –
68.0% "Savouring this as it's so good. Flann O'Brien, Beckett, McDonagh all regularly come to mind."
August 10, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

David I can't wait to get my hands on this one. You've definitely raised my already high interest.

message 2: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee I can see you liking this one, David. But I look forward to your take either way.

message 3: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel Oh yay!!!!

message 4: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Yay indeed, Rachel! Big yay from me on this one.

Jerrie (redwritinghood) Totally agree! I loved this one, too. Glad you liked it.

Trudie Technically there is a bottom-less pit of shiny stars available to fling away at your discretion Lee. Nice review however;)

message 7: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Jerrie: defo one we'll re-read, I imagine!

Trudie: very true, and any less than five for this would've felt cheeky.

message 8: by Paul (new) - added it

Paul Secor I've read Beatlebone and plan to read Dark Lies the Island. Other books keep getting in the way, but I'll get to it. I read one of his stories ("A Cruelty") in an anthology and thought it was a fine one, so I want to read others.

message 9: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Yes, a wonderful novel. And yes, an excellent longlist.

message 10: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Paul: bump this one right up the list. Exceptional work.

Dan: we're doing ok this year, right?

message 11: by Dan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dan Lee wrote: "Dan: we're doing ok this year, right?"

Lee, we’re doing great this year. This year reminds me of what the Booker at its best can offer.

message 12: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars