Lisa Orlando's Reviews > The House We Grew Up In

The House We Grew Up In by Lisa Jewell

it was ok

"Ah, well you see, your Nana is a very special lady. She's really quite magical, you know. And when she looks at the world, she sees it in a very special way, like it's a party bag or a toy shop, and she likes to keep bits of it, and she feels sad when she throws things away".

I've LOVED many of Lisa Jewell's other novels, but sadly this one was a train wreck. Such a long-winded tale with nothing really riveting about it. A multilayered dysfunctional family with a hoarder at the center could make a remarkable story, but this was just SO unremarkable. Loralei was the most annoying character I've read in a long time. (Kiss, kiss, kiss, kiss, kiss, kiss, kiss, kiss). Trying to feel empathetic or connect with her was just impossible. All along I was patiently waiting for the shocking reason for Reece's suicide. Nothing really there. The only thing I could even say was a bit interesting was the relationship between the three remaining siblings as the years went by. Overall, this novel was a huge disappointment and a waste of my time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The House We Grew Up In.

Quotes Lisa Liked

Lisa Jewell
“Why is Nana's house so messy?', she asked after an incongruous moment. Vicky smiled. Ah, well you see, your Nana is a very special lady. She's really quite magical, you know. And when she looks at the world, she sees it in a very special way, like it's a party bag or a toy shop, and she likes to keep bits of it, and she feels sad when she throws things away.”
Lisa Jewell, The House We Grew Up In