Wayne Santos's Reviews > Agency

Agency by William Gibson

M 50x66

Agency is pure classic William Gibson in one way and looks at a new Gibson in another. On the one hand, the futurism, the wry insights into the way we interact with and integrate technology into our lifestyles, is wonderfully intact. Gibson's language is as dense, precise, and striking as ever.

On the other, this is a strict alternating viewpoint novel with small chapters--over 100!--that deliberately, unapologetically whiplashes from an alternate universe, present-day San Francisco, to a futuristic London post-"Jackpot" that was featured in the previous novel, The Peripheral. Agency is mostly a standalone novel about Verity Jane, a widely regarded "app whisperer" who is commissioned to beta test some new software that is a radical evolution of the digital assistants like Siri and Alexa we are slowly grappling with today.

At the same time, 22nd-century characters from The Peripheral, such as Wilf Netherton and Lowbeer, are interacting with her timeline--and her--to head off a coming catastrophe that could devastate her timeline. This is despite the fact that Trump lost the election in this "stub" and the UK voted to remain in the EU.

The book moves at a breathless pace, with a fascinating mix of cutting edge present-day technology interacting with some genuinely spooky examples of information warfare, and how vulnerable systems can be to an AI willing to accomplish goals by any means necessary. I was surprised at how fast the book moved but equally surprised at the accessibility. It may just be my familiarity, but I found this easier as a First Read than Neuromancer, or past novels, like the Blue Ant trilogy.

It's fascinating to see how William Gibson had increasingly come to place more hope in the ability of people to do the right things with technology and find ways to subvert oppressive systems, than in his early 80s cyberpunk days, when dystopia seemed unavoidable.

For people new to William Gibson, The Peripheral, and now Agency, may be a good place to start. For fans, this is a fast, surprisingly accessible read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Agency.

December 27, 2018 – Shelved