Sharon's Reviews > Shift

Shift by M.R. Merrick

Jan 18, 2012

bookshelves: young-adult, paranormal-uf
Read from January 19 to 22, 2012 — I own a copy

More of my reviews @ www.Obsessionwithbooks.blogspot.com

Shift is the second book in The Protector series and was kindly provided to me by the author M.R. Merrick in exchange for my honest review.

I get quite nervous reading a sequel after loving the first in the series so much but I am so pleased to say that Shift was just as good if not better than Exiled; it’s one of those books that leaves you thinking long after you have finished it.

All I can say is "WOW! Just wow!!"

In Exiled we meet Chase Williams, a Demon Hunter who was exiled from the Circle and their protection at the age of 15. A lot has happened since then; he has lost his job, his home and his dearly loved mother but has also gained some extraordinary powers and some unusual and interesting friends.

Rayna Lansing is part Hunter-Witch-Demon-Shifter with some seriously kick-butt abilities, her relationship with Chase has always been sarcastic but they are forming a trust and bond with the similarities they both share with their pasts and it helps that their powers are in sync with one anothers.

Now put Chase and Rayna together and you get some amazing action scenes, intense interactions and a tad bit of romance. Shift shows the changes and the progress both characters have made; they seemed to have switched personalities – Chase to me seemed cool, calm and collected in Exiled but so much has happened that he seems to have a lot more angst and anger now as well as a multitude of questions and it is Rayna who is reigning him in – I still absolutely adore her wit and sass, she is one of my favorite female heroines but it was nice to see the obvious changes in their friendship/relationship.

I don’t want to give too much of the plot away to avoid spoilers, but Shift takes us on a magical journey with Chase trying to keep hold of the magical ring gifted to him by the Goddess Serephina, trying to avoid the underworld who don’t seem to let up on him, protecting Rayna from the pain of her first shift and her own personal struggles and dealing with his evil father Riley who is playing with his mind and still intent of ruling the underworld by raising a demon god.

All of the characters in this series are absolutely amazing and each compelling! Chase and Rayna of course steal the show but secondary characters – Tiki, Willy Morrow, Marcus Starkraven, Grams and even Vincent Taryk are developed perfectly and each with fascinating quirks, abilities and distinctive traits.

The world-building is truly unique and creative, there is a fantastic amount of action with some exciting plot twists and turns which certainly make for a fast-paced read; I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough I was so eager to find out what would happen next. Mr Merrick has a natural, wonderful way with words that draws you in and holds your attention, his writing is flawless. Shift is filled with witty, fun dialogue and characters you can’t help but adore. The imagery is also detailed and vivid; you are literally immersed in the story.

All in all, the Protector series by M.R. Merrick is an absolute must read for anyone who enjoys an exciting, fun-filled action and adventure ride with all the paranormal beings we have come to love and enjoy.

Special mention to the amazing covers as well. Now to harass Mr. M for book 3!!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shift.