Gabic Reads's Reviews > Everneath

Everneath by Brodi Ashton

Jan 18, 2012

bookshelves: reviewed-2013

Original review on Gabic Reads

I honestly don't know why I put off reading this for so long. My sister read it and raved at me about how good it was, but I still pushed off reading it. I only started reading because it was on sale on Nook and I had also won a signed edition of its sequel, Everbound. And now I'm wondering what the heck I was thinking waiting so long. I loved Everneath! Ashton's retelling of the Persephone myth is truly unique.

Nikki is strong and not the least bit self-obsessed; just how I like my heroines! She has survived the Feed, which means she can become queen of the Everneath, but she chooses to return to her hometown on the surface, despite the fact that she can't remember anything except a boy's face. That was one thing I was convinced of reading the book, Nikki's memory loss. I didn't feel like she actually forgot everything; it seemed like she remembered an awful lot.

Cole is an Everliving, an immortal who needs to feed off the emotions of others to survive. I didn't really like him. He was so obsessed with Nikki and was always trying to manipulate her. But Jack, Nikki's boyfriend form before the Feed, I loved him. He sweet and patient and obviously hurting from Nikki's sudden departure six months ago and her subsequent return and personality change. He was so realistic.

I do wish Nikki's younger brother Tommy and her former best friend Jules had bigger roles in the story. They seem like very interesting characters.

If you love mythology, romance, and suspense, Everneath is definitely the book for you!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everneath.

January 18, 2012 – Shelved