D351's Reviews > The Necronomicon - The Cthulhu Revelations

The Necronomicon - The Cthulhu Revelations by Kent David Kelly

Jan 18, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, horror

Kent Kelly's Necronomicon is an excellent addition to the long list of "Necronomicon"s on the market. It follows more of a story approach than a grimoire which was a pleasant surprise. The writing seems pretty believable, excepting a few paragraphs that sound like they're written by Kent rather than Abd... descriptions from a historical perspective that just sounds a little too complete and modern. Aside from this, my only complaint is that when I think of ancient texts from the mythos, I imagine illustrations of mystical symbols, and unfathomable creatures, which were sadly missing. In the same vein, the formatting is somewhat underwhelming. The ebook just seems like it could have used a little better production value.

As for the story itself... I like it. I was really expecting the somewhat predictable result of Abd's quest to be disappointing, but, despite being predictable, it's well-formulated and creates a great lead-in for the ending. The whole story read like a series of short lovecraftian-horror-meets-fantasy-adventure stories interspersed with bits of behind the scenes info that only the Mad Arab himself should know.This would have made a brilliant horror rpg campaign, and with some slight modification it wouldn't even have to be one-player. I really hope Kent continues this project, perhaps giving more auto-biographical information about Kent's experience in translating such a disturbing work. I also hope to see more revealing side-notes from Dr. John Dee and Clarice Whateley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Necronomicon - The Cthulhu Revelations.

January 18, 2012 – Started Reading