Maureen's Reviews > The Doll Factory

The Doll Factory by Elizabeth Macneal

bookshelves: netgalley

Richly evocative of Victorian London, ‘The Doll Factory’ revolves around Iris, who together with her sister Rose, works for the cruel, laudanum addicted Mrs Salter. Iris dreams of being an artist, expressing herself on canvas, giving vent to her talents, rather than spending long hours of monotony painting dolls faces. When she meets pre- Raphaelite artist Louis Frost, and he asks her to model for him, she agrees, on condition that he teaches her to paint professionally.

This is London 1850, and a crowd of people are watching the construction of the Great Exhibition in Hyde Park, and it’s here that Iris has another meeting (albeit very fleeting) - his name is Silas, (a taxidermist by trade) - for Iris this is a meeting that’s immediately forgotten - but for Silas this is the beginning of an obsession that knows no limits - Iris will be his, of that he is certain, and in his own little world, he believes that she feels the same way too.

This is a richly dark and gothic book, with Silas’s creepy obsession becoming ever more frightening as the story evolves and picks up pace. There were certain parts of the book that involved animal cruelty, which for me personally, is really difficult, and I therefore had to skim through these particular parts, but that said, it was a well written debut novel featuring art, romance, obsession and possession, and was ultimately a dark but gripping read.

* Thank you to Netgalley and Pan Macmillan for my ARC. I have given an honest unbiased review in exchange *

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Doll Factory.

December 27, 2018 – Started Reading
December 27, 2018 – Shelved
December 27, 2018 – Shelved as: netgalley
December 30, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 94 (94 new)

message 1: by Tras (new) - added it

Tras I love the sound of this one :)

Maureen Tras wrote: "I love the sound of this one :)"

Yes, well worth reading Tras 😊

message 3: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Oooh, nice review, Maureen; sounds scary but worth reading!

Beata Grand review, Maureen :)) I might give it a chance one day :)

Maureen Jenna wrote: "Oooh, nice review, Maureen; sounds scary but worth reading!"

Thanks Jenna, yes Silas was a very dark character! 🥰

Maureen Beata wrote: "Grand review, Maureen :)) I might give it a chance one day :)"

Thank you Beata, so many books so little time! 🤗

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Great review hun 🥰

Maureen Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "Great review hun 🥰"

Thank you sweetheart, hope you’re okay 🤗😘

message 9: by KAS (new)

KAS Prettiest cover!! Wonderful review and glad you enjoyed, Maureen ;) ❤️💚

message 10: by Chris (new) - added it

Chris Very intriguing review, Maureen! Happy new year to you!

message 11: by Diane (new)

Diane Wallace Very nice review, Maureen! 'Happy New Year' ;)

message 12: by Mischenko (new) - added it

Mischenko Wonderful review, Maureen! This sounds really interesting and I love the cover. ❤

message 13: by Susanne (new)

Susanne  Strong Nice honest review Maureen! Sorry that this book had a animal cruelty in it.. glad you were able to skip those parts and enjoy the rest of it!

message 14: by Sandra (last edited Dec 30, 2018 09:05PM) (new) - added it

Sandra Wonderful review Maureen, this book sounds really good (except for the animal cruelty)! :-)

message 15: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Sounds really good- except for the animal cruelty. I can't read that kind of material either. Great review, Maureen, as always!! 😊

Maureen KAS wrote: "Prettiest cover!! Wonderful review and glad you enjoyed, Maureen ;) ❤️💚"

Gorgeous cover KAS, thanks hon 😘

Maureen Chris wrote: "Very intriguing review, Maureen! Happy new year to you!"

Thanks ever so much Chris 💖

Maureen Diane wrote: "Very nice review, Maureen! 'Happy New Year' ;)"

Maureen Mischenko wrote: "Wonderful review, Maureen! This sounds really interesting and I love the cover. ❤"

Thank you Mischenko, yes it was, fabulous cover too 🤗

Maureen Susanne wrote: "Nice honest review Maureen! Sorry that this book had a animal cruelty in it.. glad you were able to skip those parts and enjoy the rest of it!"

Thanks Susanne, as an animal lover I can’t bear to read about cruelty, but I did enjoy this one after skimming through those parts 😘

Maureen Sandra wrote: "Wonderful review Maureen, this book sounds really good (except for the animal cruelty)! :-)"

Thanks Sandra, yes it was 💖

Maureen Julie wrote: "Sounds really good- except for the animal cruelty. I can't read that kind of material either. Great review, Maureen, as always!! 😊"

Thank you Julie, I’m just a big softy when it comes to animals! 🤗

message 23: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Terrific review Maureen! 😘

Maureen Nicola wrote: "Terrific review Maureen! 😘"

Nadia Great review Maureen! I'll be reading this one soon!

Maureen Nadia wrote: "Great review Maureen! I'll be reading this one soon!"

Thanks Nadia, enjoy! 😘

message 27: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Wonderful review Maureen!

message 28: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Fabulous review, Maureen!

Maureen Holly wrote: "Wonderful review Maureen!"

Maureen Meredith wrote: "Fabulous review, Maureen!"

Thanks Meredith 🤗

message 31: by Paula (new)

Paula Kalin Fantastic review, Maureen! 🎉

Maureen Paula wrote: "Fantastic review, Maureen! 🎉"

message 33: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Smith Super review Maureen, Happy New Year! 🎇🎆🍾🎉

Maureen Miriam wrote: "Super review Maureen, Happy New Year! 🎇🎆🍾🎉"

Thank you so much Miriam - Happy New Year, hope it’s filled with lots of 5 star reads! 🥳 🥰

Debra Great review Maureen!

message 36: by JV (semi-hiatus) (new)

JV (semi-hiatus) Lovely review, Maureen! Have a prosperous and blessed New Year! 🥳

Maureen Debra wrote: "Great review Maureen!"

Maureen JV wrote: "Lovely review, Maureen! Have a prosperous and blessed New Year! 🥳"

Thank you so much JV, Happy New Year - hope it’s everything you wish for 🤗

message 39: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Happy New Year dearest Maureen ! Hope you have some wonderful reads this year. I’m looking forward to reading all your fabulous reviews. 🥂💕🤗

message 40: by Felicia (new)

Felicia Fantastic intriguing review, Maureen 💖

Maureen Nicola wrote: "Happy New Year dearest Maureen ! Hope you have some wonderful reads this year. I’m looking forward to reading all your fabulous reviews. 🥂💕🤗"

Aww thank you Nicola, Happy New Year sweet lady, hope you get lots of 5 star reads! 🤗 🥳

Maureen Thank you so much Felicia 😘

message 43: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Great review, really looking forward to reading this one

Maureen Karen wrote: "Great review, really looking forward to reading this one"

Thanks Karen, enjoy! 😊

Paromjit Fantastic review, Maureen.....have this to read!

Maureen Paromjit wrote: "Fantastic review, Maureen.....have this to read!"

Thanks Paromjit, hope you enjoy it 😘

message 47: by Dan (new) - added it

Dan Lutts Very nice review, Maureen. Sounds like a good read.

Maureen Dan wrote: "Very nice review, Maureen. Sounds like a good read."

Thanks Dan, yes it was! 😊

*TUDOR^QUEEN* Fantastic review 🙋💗

Maureen *TUDOR^QUEEN* wrote: "Fantastic review 🙋💗"

Thanks TQ 💕