Melanie's Reviews > Saga, Vol. 8

Saga, Vol. 8 by Brian K. Vaughan

bookshelves: dark, fantasy, graphic-novels, lgbtqiap, read-in-2018, romance, sci-fi, magic

Vol. 1 ★★★★
Vol. 2 ★★★★
Vol. 3 ★★★★★
Vol. 4 ★★★★
Vol. 5 ★★★★★
Vol. 6 ★★★★★
Vol. 7 ★★★★★

“In the beginning, there was Landfall and there was Wreath.”

This ended up being such a heartwarming volume, after bawling my eyes out after Vol. 7. The start of this was for sure still a tearjerker, but Saga truly will make you feel every emotion possible. This series continues to prove that it is a tier above so many out there, and I truly hope it never ends.

I just feel like this Romeo and Juliet story is done so well, that I’m actual at a loss for words. I know we are eight volumes in, but I care so deeply for all of these characters and side characters that it just continues to astound me. They all deserve the literal galaxy and all the stars within it, but every volume the risks and stakes just continue to get increased. Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples have really just created something so amazing and inspiring that I am left in awe after almost every page.

I will say that this volume heavily talks about how people should choose what they want to do with their body, regardless of what anyone else chooses to believe for their bodies. This bind-up is really prochoice, which is also something that I’m very passionate about, and seeing it portrayed in a graphic novel is something I really wasn’t expecting, but I loved it with my whole heart. But content and trigger warnings for talk of miscarrying, talk of stillbirths, talk of abortion, violence, child abuse, depictions of trauma, depictions of PTSD, and graphic sexual content. Saga is always a bit of a darker graphic novel, so please use caution if any of these things could be triggering to you.

As always, I'm now going to break down each chapter (single issue) in this bind-up. I mostly do this so I can go back and refresh what has happened in which specific issue. There will be SPOILERS, so please do not continue if you have not read this graphic-novel or the ones leading up to this volume!

CHAPTER 43
Marko, Alana, Hazel, Petri, and Prince Robot land on Pervious to remove the baby that Alana is still carrying after the terrible events of Vol. 7. Petri talks a bit more about being a transwoman, and we see Alana has developed some new powers!

CHAPTER 44
Alana is also struggling with everything that happened to her in such a short time, and she is beginning to see the son she should have had. And we are introduced to some new bad guys.

CHAPTER 45
Alana’s new powers are allowing her to project the son she wishes she had, and Hazel is becoming attached. But using this new ability is hurting Alana more and more, until Hazel has to learn a new power to save her. Meanwhile, those new bad guys are attempting to kill Petri, but Prince Robot saves her.

CHAPTER 46
We learn that Prince Robot is genderfluid and we get to see a little bit of a romance brewing between them and Petri. Marko, Alana, and Hazel meet Endwife, who takes care of women who are too far along in their pregnancies for help elsewhere. And Endwife gives Marko a small glimpse of why being prochoice is so important.

CHAPTER 47
Ianthe currently has The Will captured and has him hooked up to a machine that allows them both to view his memories. We see him and Sophie growing up with an abusive father, and how their uncle, The Letter, came and took them away. We get to see him and The Stalk starting their romance, too, but soon Ianthe becomes aware of who Hazel is and who her mother and father are.

CHAPTER 48
We are finally reintroduced to my favorite character, Ghüs, and the rest of their friends that have been stranded while waiting for Marko and Alana. Squire, Prince Robot’s son, has gotten a lot bigger, and is getting more and more adventurous. But they are soon reunited when the crew comes back with much needed food for the gang. And we get to see Squire and Hazel start a beautiful friendship. Oh, and Hazel can finally fly!

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saga, Vol. 8.

December 26, 2018 – Shelved
December 26, 2018 – Shelved as: sci-fi
December 27, 2018 – Started Reading
December 27, 2018 – Shelved as: magic
December 27, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

Mark This was one of my favorite volumes in the series...hope you love it!

Cassie Fischer Stay strong for the sequel... we're all ruined over it.

message 3: by Mandy (new) - added it

Mandy My brother got me hooked on this series but I haven't gotten my hands on this volume yet! I love these!

Melanie Mark wrote: "This was one of my favorite volumes in the series...hope you love it!"

I loved it so much, Mark! Even though... I'm still crying forever over 9! 💖xx

Melanie Cassie wrote: "Stay strong for the sequel... we're all ruined over it."

I can't stop crying, Cassie! Hahaha! Happy reading, love! 💖xx

Melanie Mandy wrote: "My brother got me hooked on this series but I haven't gotten my hands on this volume yet! I love these!"

I hope you love it, Mandy! And I hope you're having the happiest of new years! 💖xx

message 7: by Mandy (new) - added it

Mandy Melanie wrote: "Mandy wrote: "My brother got me hooked on this series but I haven't gotten my hands on this volume yet! I love these!"

Happy New Year! :)