June's Reviews > The Scorpio Races

The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

F 50x66
Jan 18, 2012

bookshelves: adventure, alternative-world, fantasy, love, horses, ya
Recommended to June by: Goodreads
Recommended for: Horse lovers & those who have loved something more than themselves
Read in January, 2012

A very intriquing main character and family. Kate is better known as Puck. She says, "My mother always said that I was born out of a bottle of vinegar instead of born from a womb and that she and my father bathed me in sugar for three days to wash it off. I try to behave, but I always go back to the vinegar."

The other main character is Sean Kendrick a quiet man only understood by Cor, a capaill uisce.

The capaill uisce are water horses that come on land in the Autumn and eat meat. The locals catch them and race them on the first of November to prove themselves.

Kate enters (the first woman) to try and keep what's left of her family together. Sean enters to try and win his other half.

The ending brought tears to my eyes.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Scorpio Races.

message 1: by elissa (new) - added it

elissa I haven't been able to get past the first chapter of this for some reason. Maybe I should be a little more persistent! "Those who have loved something more than themselves", huh? How's it going at TPK so far??

message 2: by June (last edited Jan 24, 2012 03:49AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

June I would say that Scorpio Races, probably is not for everyone. It is a bit quirky. I definitely enjoyed Puck, more than Sean. (Vinegar more my style than a strong silent type.)

Takoma's going well! No one showed for the pajama storytime, Tuesday evening. However, I had 30 for Laptime & 60 for the MLK Storytime. Things seem fairly much in order and I'm still learning where everything is, but everyone is being nice and patient with we while I settle in. Heather YA & Mack LA both seem quite competent. Catherine (SP?), Eden & Nancy also seem to keep everything running smoothly.

The McPhersons have been by and said, "Hello." However, no DeAngelo and they seemed pretty moderate for them. They seem to come our late nights and have their mother with them so that might be the difference.

With the transfer I haven't kept up. Are we on for the 5th?

message 3: by elissa (new) - added it

elissa Glad to hear that all is going well at TPK so far! I forgot that Eden is there. Sounds like Maria is gone, though. Hmm. Cindy never answered about the Feb 5th. I'll try to remember to send out another email so we can firm that up.

message 4: by Joan (new)

Joan I'm iffy about trying it but we'll see if I get to it. Likely not anytime soon, unless it wins something Monday. Glad to know you're settling in June.

June Do you try & do the honors? How many of the winners have you read? From the lists I was monitoring there were a lot of surprises for me.

message 6: by Joan (new)

Joan I'll try to at least read the winners of the major awards. I actually have read very few of them. I had balloons over broadway checked out and I agree that it is a fantastic book. I looked at a few other of the picture book type books yesterday while trying to see which titles Main actually has before placing an order. Which reminds me...I need to go back and make sure I have the Printz reserved. I was so busy begging Tech to find the two copies that have JUST been received and make one reference for the historical collection, that I can't remember if I reserved it. I got only 1 title really right in the awards: I guessed Wonderstruck would win a Schneider. I am not a complete fan of what I call the niche awards that only serve one smallish group rather than whole segments of kids as the Caldecott, Geisel, Newbery or Printz do. But I'll admit that having the niche groups does get some exposure by kids who may know very little about a hearing disability for example. I'll read the honors at least on the major 4 awards. Maybe a few of the others if they grab my interest. So much for reducing Mt. Bookmore!!!

message 7: by Joan (new)

Joan And yes, I'll definitely read the Scorpio Races now!

June How many books do you check out at once? I've had to reduce mine because I'm not getting through my stack quickly enough.

message 9: by Joan (new)

Joan Err, to be continued on our group list!