Jo Ladzinski's Reviews > The Impossible Contract

The Impossible Contract by K.A. Doore

32067918

bookshelves: net-galley, friends

Read my NetGalley eArc

Doore knocks it out of the desert once again with another captivating mystery that takes us beyond the pylons of Ghadid, out into a desert, and to some new locations, featuring the undead, very good camels, a snarky healer, and a jackass.

Thana gets assigned to take out a marab who instead of decoupling jaan from their bodies, he couples them to other bodies. The attempt goes disastrously. The mark, Heru, takes the curmudgeonly healer, Mo, with him across the desert back to the Empress and Thana follows along. As to be expected, things continue to spiral from there.

The intrigue in this book is captivating. It's both political and interpolitical, and it was really good to see more of the world beyond Ghadid. Na Tay Khet is such a cool location. The level of detail that went into the customs is truly immersive.

Moreover the book features two of my favorite character archetypes: the Badass Idiot and the Angry Medic. Thana and Mo play off each other fantastically, with Thana being more smitten the snarkier Mo gets. They're allowed moments of tenderness, but ugh I just love the f/f love in this one.

2019 has been a very good year for lesbians and necromancers is all I'm saying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Impossible Contract.

December 26, 2018 – Shelved
December 26, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
October 27, 2019 – Started Reading
October 31, 2019 – Shelved as: net-galley
October 31, 2019 – Shelved as: friends
November 2, 2019 –
40.0% "Deserts are scary, actually"
November 12, 2019 – Finished Reading