Claire's Reviews > Girls Like Us: Fighting for a World Where Girls are Not for Sale, an Activist Finds Her Calling and Heals Herself

Girls Like Us by Rachel Lloyd

Jan 18, 2012

bookshelves: non-fiction

I'd never given human trafficking much thought. The victims I pictured were European immigrants or middle-class runaways forced into prostitution. Most of my knowledge came from TV shows or movies like Taken.

Then I read Girls Like Us. Girls Like Us: Fighting for a World Where Girls are Not for Sale, an Activist Finds Her Calling and Heals Herself The author, Rachel Lloyd, Rachel Lloyd founded the non-profit GEMS (Girls Educational & Mentoring Services) to help girls who have been victimized by commercial sexual exploitation, more commonly known as prostitution. Lloyd herself was a victim of human trafficking and in Girls Like Us, she tells us her story and introduces us to the girls GEMS helps.

I don't usually read non-fiction, but I couldn't put this one down. It was amazing! I finished it and wanted to send them money! (Which is quite unusual for me...) My friends have asked, "Isn't it depressing?" Well, yes. Girls Like Us is painful and heart-breaking, but also inspiring and beautiful. The girls in this book are worth knowing.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Girls Like Us.