Sheila Goicea's Reviews > The Queen's Resistance

The Queen's Resistance by Rebecca   Ross

1) The Queen's Rising: ★★★★★

See this full review along with others on my blog at: foalsfictionandfiligree.com

I received an ARC of this book via Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. Thank you!

description

Content Warning: Violence, Abduction, Child Abuse, Sex Trafficking, Slavery, Torture, Death, Murder

description

All included quotes have been taken from an ARC and may not match the finished publication.
I saw the fire stirring within her, ancient fire as if she were a dragon that had just been woken. A dragon that was about to rise, blot out the half-moon with her wings, and rain terror.

Before I get into this review too far, I just want to say that this is a series that needs more recognition! Seriously! Not only does it embody a lot of the desired qualities in typical Young Adult fiction, it adds quality, meaning, originality, and so much more! I had received an ARC of The Queen’s Rising last year, and just immediately fell in love with the story and characters. The Queen’s Resistance only adds to the series, and deepens my love of it.

If there was a single word that described this book, it would be meticulous. I know that politics may steer some readers away, but hear me out! The way this story is built, it must include political maneuvering, or else it will make no sense. It’s literally the entire point of the book--dethroned queen takes back her throne--it’s all about the politics!

I love the way the author captures the intricacies of how politics play such a deeply influential, and very powerful role in societies. While this subject is certainly introduced in the first book, it manifests greatly and becomes much more twisted, dark, and central here. This series is a great example as to how nothing is cut and dry in politics, especially when certain folks only care about their own gain rather than for the good of the majority.

Within relating and relying heavily upon politics, lies a strong sense of community. The community between characters, houses, and countries are both at times, heart-warming and gut wrenching. Ross does an amazing job at building just enough complexity into how the houses and individuals intertwin to make tangible, constant tension. It is within the walls of these alliances that strong bonds and stronger divisions breed.
”What had I thought? That Jourdain’s people would like mat once? That I would fit into the weavings of a place that had suffered while I had flourished on the other side of the channel? As I stepped into the castle courtyard, I began to wonder if it would be better for me to return to Valenia. I began to believe that perhaps I truly didn’t belong here.”

The point-of-view splits between Cartier and Brienna. Both deal with their own issues among their new and refound families. Brienna deals with feeling accepted into her new family. So does Cartier, in a way, as he struggles to rebuild the House of Morghane. Along with other characters, everyone has a specific and influential role within the plot.

Despite how much I enjoyed this book, I also had a few issues with it. One thing that I really would like to have seen more of was the magic. While I honestly love that this book has more of a historical fiction feel, I feel that there has been a missed opportunity with not showing more of the magical element, or at least a steady growth in its arc. There is scarcely any use of it, and only some mentions of it here and there.

The second issue lies with Cartier’s character. I truly like him most. However, I feel that his character lacks. I want more from him, instead of him being more of background noise. I get that this book is supposed to be about the strong female lead, and strong female characters in general. However, you can’t show strength without opposition AND support from both women AND men. I think strong female characters are great, but I also want equally as strong male characters. Unfortunately, I feel like Cartier is just dull in comparison, and it’s a true shame.

Even so, I really liked this book. It was a great addition to the series, and can’t wait to see where it leads!

Vulgarity: None.
Sexual content: Kissing only.
Violence: Moderate.

My Rating: ★★★★1/2

My Blog ¦ Bookstagram ¦ Twitter ¦ Pinterest ¦ Facebook

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen's Resistance.

Quotes Sheila Liked

Rebecca   Ross
“If you were a storm, I would lie down and rest in your rain. If you were a river, I would drink from your currents. If you were a poem, I would never cease to read you. I adore the girl you once were, and I love the woman you have become.”
Rebecca Ross, The Queen's Resistance

December 27, 2018 – Shelved as: romance
December 27, 2018 – Shelved as: magic
December 28, 2018 – Shelved as: review-to-come
December 28, 2018 –
11.0% "Finally getting past the recap of the previous book. I know it's necessary, but, let's keep moving! :P I'm just being impatient..."
January 3, 2019 –
January 15, 2019 – Shelved as: ya-historical-fiction
January 15, 2019 – Shelved as: edelweiss
January 15, 2019 – Finished Reading
March 9, 2019 – Shelved as: 2019-top-picks

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Miri ♪ Book Dragoness ♪ Great review! I'm glad you enjoyed it a lot! Your points on the politics made lots of sense :)

Sheila Goicea Miri ♪ Book Dragoness ♪ wrote: "Great review! I'm glad you enjoyed it a lot! Your points on the politics made lots of sense :)"

Thanks so much!

Diane I'm glad you had that ARC for review. I had to pay for my copy. Violence - moderate? Sex trafficking - yes. Human torture and mutilation - yes (graphic). Slavery, mutilation - yes, yes. But certainly a warm, uplifting review. I don't think this should be in the YA category.

Sheila Goicea Diane wrote: "I'm glad you had that ARC for review. I had to pay for my copy. Violence - moderate? Sex trafficking - yes. Human torture and mutilation - yes (graphic). Slavery, mutilation - yes, yes. But certain..."

I can understand your sentiments. This sequel is best suited for mature, or older YA readers. In comparison to many other YA books, I found it to still not be that bad--considering straight erotica now passes as acceptable for YA readers...this pales in comparison to that.

Diane My biggest problem was with the torture, particularly the scene where her face is cut with a knife. The tongue being cut out was also difficult to swallow. Just a little more brutal than I was prepared for. Letting the bad guy escape the dungeon seemed a little contrived as well. Oh well.