Kathryn's Reviews > Where the Wild Things Are

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak

Jan 18, 2012

bookshelves: childrens-picture-books

"Where the Wild Things Are" is one of the books I remember vividly from my childhood. While I'm not sure I would call it a "favorite" (it didn't completely resonate with me as some books did, nor was it a "cozy" sort of story that I loved reading over and over), there was something utterly fascinating about it... I found the Wild Things so intriguing, I at once admired and felt ashamed of Max's behavior, I felt bad that he had to leave the Wild Things but yet happy that he went home, that his mother forgave him and still loved him, and that his dinner was "still hot".

I felt much the same reading this as an adult. But, I appreciated it in different ways, too. Some days, I think we all feel like a "Wild Thing"--some days, I wear my "wolf suit" and life seems to be havoc around me. I love that Max was able to channel his feelings in a positive way, using imagination to have a wild time with the Wild Things, yet also to calm them (his feelings), and to realize that he would rather have safety and comfort and love.

The illustrations are amazing! The sparse words, paired with the illustrations, create a pitch-perfect story, compel you to turn the page, and to immerse yourself in Max's adventure. The bedroom transforms in such a wonderful way, The Wild Things are sooo memorable, Max's expressions are so telling... I just loved all of it!

We read this for the Children's Book Group January theme for the Picture Book Club, "Children Going on Adventures and Exploring". Max's adventure, into his imagination and his feelings, is one that I think I will appreciate for many years to come and look forward to sharing with my future children, little "Wild Things" that they may be at times, someday.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where the Wild Things Are.

Started Reading
January 18, 2012 – Shelved
January 18, 2012 – Shelved as: childrens-picture-books
January 18, 2012 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim *Sigh* It makes me feel old, Kathryn, knowing that as I child you read a book I read to my children!

Kathryn Kim wrote: "*Sigh* It makes me feel old, Kathryn, knowing that as I child you read a book I read to my children!"

Awww...

Lisa Vegan Kim, I understand. I read it to children I worked with and friends' children and little cousins. *sigh* I wasn't really wild about the book until I saw it through those children's eyes. It's still not a favorite of mine. Some books have to be read at the right time, I think.

message 4: by joy (new) - rated it 5 stars

joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire* my DD loves this as much as i do -- especially when her daddy does the "wild rumpus" noises. :) she turns the pages really slow during that part!

Kathryn joy wrote: "my DD loves this as much as i do -- especially when her daddy does the "wild rumpus" noises. :) she turns the pages really slow during that part!"

Awww, cute! I love when daddies are involved in read-alouds, too. They can do some of the best voices, too! ;-)