Claire's Reviews > The True Story of Maddie Bright

The True Story of Maddie Bright by Mary-Rose MacColl

bookshelves: aussie-authors, australian-fiction, australian-women-authors, aww2019

It has been a long time since I read a book that I desperately felt the need to discuss after finishing, but this is one. A definite 5 stars from me, I was engrossed in the three timelines right until the final page. This novel covers three timelines; Maddie in 1920 working with Prince Edward VIII on his tour around Australia and 1981 when Prince Charles marries Lady Diana and then Victoria’s story in 1997 when Lady Diana passes away in a tragic accident. Of the three timelines, I definitely felt more drawn to Victoria’s story and the death of Lady Diana. This would be because it is an event I lived through myself and I could understand the responses that were going on in this timeline. Halfway through the book the events happening in 1920 with Prince Edward and his entourage became totally engaging, eliciting many emotions from this point on, both positive and negative responses due to the events that occurred during Maddie’s time on the tour. For Maddie, this tour changed her whole life as well of the life of Helen her friend who took her under her wing. Watching Maddie’s character grow from naïve and childlike to strong and more knowing about the ways of the world, was encouraging and heartbreaking. Maddie in 1981 is a wonderful character who made me laugh with her directness and way of being. This book had themes of dreams, hope, power, guilt, regret, loyalty, misuse of power, family and friendship. It covered some important themes of abuse and the way people deal with this, both then and now. It was a story that will stay with me for a long time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The True Story of Maddie Bright.

December 24, 2018 – Shelved