Scarllet ✦ Underrated Lit Warrior's Reviews > A Holiday By Gaslight: A Victorian Christmas Novella

A Holiday By Gaslight by Mimi Matthews

Because it didn’t matter to you. You weren’t cringing with shame. You weren’t putting on airs. You were simply…you. A lady through and through. And one I very much wished to know better.

All the stars, honestly!!! What a charming way to spend my Christmas day: with this romantic and warm holiday read.

The brilliance of the Victorian era combined with the luscious Christmas cover invited me into A Holiday By Gaslight - plus a very favorable review by Destiny from destiny ♎ [howling libraries] had me adding it to be tbr in an instant. It was the completely magnetic characters of not only Sophie and Ned, but the entirety of the AHBG cast totally made me fall in love with this novella! The gorgeous writing style that had me envisioning, in awe might I add, the beautiful silks and cloths of the era was the sugar on top of the sugar cookies :') I just wanna gush about this one to anyone who'd listen lmao!!

She also included a lot of allusions to North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. Just like with North and South's Margaret, Sophie is devoted to her family and her duty as the eldest daughter. She manages to take on these huge financial burdens as a result of Mrs. Appersett's (her father's) frivolity and totally extra personality. She does this because she cares for them so much, which it's something I loved about her.

Sophie Appersett is just an amazingly written character: strong, caring, intelligent, witty. Just like Ned, I wanted her burdens to be eased. He just wanted to take care of her and be there for her; which just was so well done. Their whole dynamic was so swoon-worthy and had me smiling like a fool. It was gentle, it was sweet, it was hella romantic, it was filled with banter. What's not to love let's be real.

Ned had this facade of stoic and coolness that was just a mask hiding everything he's thinking. I'm so glad we got to read both of their point-of-view because it was great to see how things seemed one way but were actually another a.k.a the whole start of the beautiful pining situation. This novella had equal amounts of pining, misunderstandings, laughs, a dramatic sister, romantic hand-holding, Christmas cheer, beautiful evening wear, jeez you name it!

It was SO GOOD and it's all I love about historical fiction tbh.

I really loved the author's note at the end because it was clear that the author did her research throughout the novella, which really made it all the more of a gem for me!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Holiday By Gaslight.

Quotes Scarllet ✦ Underrated Lit Warrior Liked

Mimi Matthews
“Not very romantic, is it? But I don't want you to feel powerless with me. I value your intelligence and your strength. I'd rather you stood at my side than in my shadow.”
Mimi Matthews, A Holiday by Gaslight

December 25, 2018 – Started Reading
December 25, 2018 –
page 18
10.47% "Ned: it's over, she gave me my marching orders
me: oh sweetheart it's so not over. actually it's just the beginning

anyways I'm in love with this book just leave me here to gush"
December 25, 2018 – Shelved as: 5-star-read