Linda's Reviews > Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

Quiet by Susan Cain

719063
Jan 17, 2012

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in February, 2012

I wish I could require every conference session leader in the Western world to read this book. You know the type: those perky people who take the podium and say things like "Before we start, shake hands with and greet at least three people you don't know." Arrrrrggggh. Like it's not already taking every ounce of energy I have to sit here in a room full of a hundred strangers.

Cain confirms with data from various studies what I've observed time and again: In group/committee situations, those who speak with assertiveness and eloquence get their ideas implemented. Those who aren't so bold or persuasive are largely ignored, even if their ideas are demonstrably better than those of the loudmou--- er, extroverts.

Cain also discloses that Harvard Business School teaches its students to speak with absolute conviction, even if they're only 55% sure they're correct.

I would recommend this book for everyone, but I can't imagine most extroverts bothering, since the U.S. is already set up to cater to them. So I'll recommend it for the introverts, who could likely use the pep talk it delivers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quiet.

04/08/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Just started this. The problem is that I'm two different people: a loudmouth at work but terrified in social situations.

Linda I think (hope!) you'll like it. The author is sort of the same way-- iirc, she's had jobs where extroversion was pretty much required, so she's gotten good at imitating an extrovert. I loved learning the history of how loud and brash became the default American style.