Ashlee » libraryinthecountry's Reviews > 99 Percent Mine

99 Percent Mine by Sally  Thorne

liked it

Alright, this one got off to a really shaky start and I am disappointed that I didn’t love it as much as The Hating Game. That said, it did pick up in the second half and I enjoyed the tension between the main characters.

My main issue is the heroine, Darcy. She’s abrasive. She’s judgmental. She’s self centered. And I’m pretty sure some homewrecking would have happened on her part if Tom hadn’t ended up single, in fact she was so unabashedly obvious and forward at times that it made me dislike her more.

Furthermore, the writing was jarring and repetitive. I listened to the audiobook and there were not near enough dialogue tags or smooth transitions for this book to translate well into audio. I had to follow along in the book for much of it because Darcy’s POV jumped around so much, it was hard to follow what was even happening.

As far as the repetitiveness goes – I cannot tell you how many times we are reminded that Darcy cut her hair off, got a nipple piercing, has a heart condition and hates the way men look at her. She fixates on how Tom is large and imposing and constantly, constantly compares herself to her twin brother and Tom’s ex-fiancée. The premise and setting of this worked and were interesting but Darcy as a character is not likable in the least.

All of that said, fingers crossed Sally’s next read is an improvement upon this!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 99 Percent Mine.

December 22, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
December 22, 2018 – Shelved
August 13, 2020 – Started Reading
August 13, 2020 –
8.0% "Damn Darcy, I don’t know about you."
August 13, 2020 –
12.0% "We get it – Tom is a large guy and Darcy can’t stand most men. 🙄"
August 13, 2020 –
21.0% "I really, really, really hope the heroine becomes less abrasive and self centered pretty soon. She is not likable in the least."
August 13, 2020 –
25.0% "Tom is too good for Darcy. It would be a happy ending if the main characters don’t end up together."
August 13, 2020 –
36.0% "THIS GIRL IS CRAY."
August 14, 2020 –
98.0% "Pleasantly surprised to see this has a special epilogue for The Hating Game at the end!"
August 14, 2020 – Finished Reading