Christine's Reviews > Heart of the Dragon

Heart of the Dragon by Keith R.A. DeCandido

F 50x66
Jan 17, 2012

liked it

A much better effort on the part of DeCandido this time around. I'll admit, after the disaster that was "Nevermore," I was hesitant to read another "Supernatural" tie-in, especially one by DeCandido. But he actually surprised me this time by doing what he should have for his first "Supernatural" novel: research.

It's been awhile since I read this, so excuse me for not being able to give a more detailed description of the novel. I will warn readers that this particular book does not deal with primarily with the Winchesters (which might have been for the best). Instead, the novel starts with Feudal Japan, (which was a treat for me because at the time I read the book, I was studying Japanese history) and focuses mainly on the Campbells'-- Sam and Dean's grandparents-- and John's previous attempt to hunt the spirit known as "The Heart of the Dragon."

The Monster of the Week is pretty cool and there's a few quick appearances by Castiel as well (which really is for the best, because DeCandido writes him a bit too stiff for my taste).

It's a good effort on the author's part and a good read for a fan between the show's infamously long hiatuses.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart of the Dragon.