Alessandra's Reviews > The Fantastic Art of Rowena

The Fantastic Art of Rowena by Rowena Morrill

Jan 17, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: art, fantasy-art, painting

This book rocked my world when I first laid hands on it. Up until then, although I was doing art all the time (in whatever free time I had from the academics I was urged were the only thing worth doing), it had not occurred to me that art was a viable career, certainly not for a woman.

I had been aware of the art world since birth, but to me the art world was men who had themselves nailed to Volkswagens or men who painted giant trapezoids of canvas a single color or men who made angry, shapeless bronzes.

This was the book that made me aware of the people behind the book cover illustration that I found more interesting and more full of possibilities than the bleak end-of-history nihilism which dominated the fine arts world at the time.

I don't know if I would call Rowena's paintings great art, but they certainly are beautifully painted and show a fierce intelligence applied towards commercial book illustration.

And they made me realize that women could be serious artists too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fantastic Art of Rowena.