Dean's Reviews > Winter in Madrid

Winter in Madrid by C.J. Sansom

This was an exceptional, remarkable and frantic ride trough the Spanish civil war embedded with a dramatic and beautiful developed love story!!!
Three young man: Sandy Forsyth entrepreneur and survivor after having went trough a tattered childhood and broken family;
Bernie a communist and born fighter, the arch-enemy of the fascists;
Henry the British soldier, injured and humiliated at Dunkirk searching for revenge and compensations;
Each of them intertwined trough the love for one woman: Barbara!!

"Winter in Madrid" is a novel about sacrifice, heroism, struggle against poverty, the redemption of faith, and the power of love..

I want to disclose only so much, so that I don't spoil anything at all :
After being injured at the battle in The Jarama Valley, Bernie is taken captive and must try to survive a secret fascist laborcamp for political dissidents and enemies of the regime hidden in the mountains of Cuenca and guarded with heavy arms by the Franco regime!!!

Barbara driven by her love and pain relentless searching after Bernies body!!!
After being bereaved and heartbroken, in the conviction that Bernie was killed in the war, she finds temporary consolation and comfort in a relationship with Sandy!!

But this is a big mistake she has made, and soon enough she will be awakened to the reality and the consequences of such a vicious and flaw love affair..

Years later after having found about Bernie that he is still alive, she embarks and undertakes a campaign to liberate him from the fascist laborcamp..
But to be successful she will have to deny herself and her convictions, and face betrayal, bloodshed, and hatred..

"Winter in Madrid" by C. J. Samson does not fail to deliver a captivating and gripping political thriller and a tragic love story in tumultuous and dangerous times that will leave the reader gasping and with the feel-good sensation that only the best novels are capable of rendering!!!

Happy reading!!!
Dean;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter in Madrid.

December 22, 2018 – Started Reading
February 15, 2019 –
February 18, 2019 –
February 19, 2019 –
February 21, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Leila (new) - added it

Leila I have this book on my shelves Dean along with two more written by this author but have not yet read any of them. How are you finding this one? Talking about winter, I am really looking forward to spring! How about you my friend?

Dean Leila, the same by me here..
Looking also forwards to it..
This is a great novel; so far I love it very much..
The flow of the narrative is amazing!!!
The prose is very engagin g..
The story in itself is awesome, and the author is doing a great job with this novel..
Very wonderful and a its a real pleasure reading this..
Leila, its my first book by this author, and I'm sure it will not be the last..
I recommend it very strongly!!
Leila, go for it!!!
You will love it, I'm pretty sure of it..
A wonderful novel!!!
Dean;)))

Dean Leslie, thanks so very much!!!
Appreciate it..
A wonderful novel indeed!!!
Dean;)

message 4: by Tracey (new)

Tracey From your excellent review I can see that you really enjoyed this one Dean. If I ever need a recommendation for a thriller I know who to ask. :))

Dean Tracey, Thank you so much!!!
Loved it, loved it, loved it..
The right book to the right time for me..
Always a pleasure to recommend a novel for you, Tracey!!!
Thanks again so much!!!
Dean;)))

message 6: by Cheri (new)

Cheri I love your enthusiasm for this, Dean! Wonderful review!

Dean Cheri, thanks very much!!!
Appreciate it!!
And yes, a wonderful novel, loved it!!!