Kirstie's Reviews > Bloom

Bloom by Kevin Panetta

bookshelves: graphic-novels, quiltbag-characters, romance

I got this for Valentines Day (my husband let me loose in Kinokuniya XD ) but didn't read it until the weekend. You will not find a more lovely present for such an event. The sweetness and slow build of their relationship is adorable. Expect plenty of pastry-making montages ;p

The characters are deep and wonderful. Ari trying desperately to find his place in the world (like most of us did as soon as school was over), finding Hector who knows what he wants to do, but is lost in other ways is a wonderful set up and neither of the main characters or any of the secondary ones comes out looking like an author puppet(the only person who did was creepily flirty Deb, and she wasn't in there much).

One thing I especially enjoyed was (this is going to sound weird) the bullying culture. I don't mean the actual bullying, but how it and the aftermath were handled. Non-apologies being called out, Ari growing from a follower to someone who'll call people out too.

Also if you like to bake, there's recipes at the end.

The art style is as sweet as the story. I like the way the green (the only other colour besides black and white) was used in so many shades and gradients to define and highlight, it's a nice change from the black and white manga I typically read.

So with so much good Y U no five star, Kirstie? Something in the ending just missed for me. Not the final confession/get together moment (that was wonderful) but the epilogue (view spoiler) However that's far from a book ruiner, especially because the rest of it is so strong. I'm glad this comic is in my collection and can see it getting many re-reads in the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloom.

December 22, 2018 – Shelved