Catherine's Reviews > The Dark Days Deceit

The Dark Days Deceit by Alison Goodman

bookshelves: 5-stars, young-adult, fantasy

1) The Dark Days Club ★★★★★
2) The Dark Days Pact ★★★★★

"You are my heartbeat. My pulse. You are the fire in my blood and the laughter in my soul."

This trilogy is the best Victorian YA fantasy I read. I had an amazing time and once I finished to read the first book, I needed to finish the entire trilogy before being able to pick up another book. Lady Helen is the most realistic Victorian YA heroine, the romance didn't bore me out of my mind and the History research made by the author was the best in historical YA fantasy books and probably my favorite thing about this series. Like in the two previous books, Alison Goodman talks about the real historical places, people and events that she blends with the fictional world in her author's note - don't skip author's note for this series!

It seems that many readers were disappointed by the descriptions of the preparations of Helen's wedding with to the Duke of Selburn. I personally wasn't bored, but apparently Helen's character development should have been to not care anymore about society, which would have been out of character. I love this series and Lady Helen because it's realistic. I know it's not what many people are used to with YA fantasy and that may be why they found it boring, but for me this third book didn't disappoint and is entirely coherent with the world-building the author created and Helen's character development (because yes, she has a character's development).

About the twist: yes, we all saw it coming. I get why some readers didn't like this book as much because of it. But the amazing thing is that it didn't make me not enjoy this novel, not at all, because I love this world, those characters and the writing.

Now, this is still for me not as good as the two previous books, but because of the fighting scenes. I didn't think it was really good, the supernatural element of the trilogy was has lost a lot of its interest because of it. I almost gave it "only" four stars, but in the end my love for the Lady Helen trilogy won (and also the fact this book is unfairly treated in my opinion, I admit it) and while this last novel wasn't perfect, it was an entirely satisfying conclusion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Days Deceit.

December 21, 2018 – Shelved
February 27, 2019 – Shelved as: 5-stars
February 27, 2019 – Finished Reading
October 28, 2019 – Shelved as: young-adult
October 28, 2019 – Shelved as: fantasy

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Maggie (new) - added it

Maggie ☘ (Wonderland-Reader) Ahh, you are ahead of me now, love!xD Have not yet read this one. Although for some reason, I have seen a few 3 star reviews of this last instalment: do you think it's as good as the previous two?

Catherine Maggie wrote: "Ahh, you are ahead of me now, love!xD Have not yet read this one. Although for some reason, I have seen a few 3 star reviews of this last instalment: do you think it's as good as the previous two?"

Well, when I start a trilogy and love it, I need to finish it before picking up another book ;)

No, I don't think it was as good as the two previous books. I nearly gave it "only" four stars, but in the end I still loved it enough to give the whole trilogy five stars. I'll talk about it more in my review.

message 3: by Maggie (new) - added it

Maggie ☘ (Wonderland-Reader) Great review! I was worried for a bit when this last one got such a low avarage (and worse reviews) in comparison to the first two, as it's always (mostly) the first book which gets the low rating and each book then gets higher by the fans of the series. At the same time I've read and love the first two, and admire the author, so I didn't think I'd dislike it either.

Well, I couldn't have continued even if I wanted to when I started the series, b/c I read book one when it came out.:D

Catherine Maggie wrote: "Great review! I was worried for a bit when this last one got such a low avarage (and worse reviews) in comparison to the first two, as it's always (mostly) the first book which gets the low rating ..."

Thank you lovely! Yeah, many were disappointed and while some points are valid, I don't agree with others. That being said, everyone is entitled to their own opinion of course. I hope you'll like it, tell me when you read it! :)

I was lucky to only find out about the series when it was already finished ;) Thank you again for this amazing rec Maggie, I loved it more than I expected and I only found it and read it because of you 💜

message 5: by Maggie (new) - added it

Maggie ☘ (Wonderland-Reader) Of course. Hope so too!!:)
I'm just honestly glad you loved something I enjoyed and recommended!xD <3