Catherine's Reviews > The Dark Days Pact

The Dark Days Pact by Alison Goodman

bookshelves: 5-stars, fantasy, young-adult

1) The Dark Days Club ★★★★★

"We cannot defer when we must act. We cannot follow when we must lead. We must make our own rules."

The first book of the Lady Helen trilogy was a very pleasant surprise for me, I absolutely loved it. So of course, I picked the second book with high hopes, but also a little fear: would it be as good or would my excitement for this series die pretty soon? Well, no worries: Alison Goodman wrote a solid second book, which is both a great follow up to the first one and put everything into place for the conclusion.

There's much more action of course since Lady Helen is now working with The Dark Days Club and also political intrigues. As for the romance, unlike the slow-burn of the first book, it's now a real part of the story, but without taking over the story. I think your enjoyment of this book depends strongly of whether you like Lord Carlston or not. Fortunately, I liked how the author wrote both characters, Lady Helen and Lord Carlston, and how she wrote the romance. I'm not even bored by the love triangle, because the author doesn't let it take over the plot and the characters' development.

Like in the first book, the author kept doing a great amount of research for this historical story and once again her author's note is interesting as she explains the real historical figures and events she mixed with this fiction. I already mentioned this in my review for the first book, but I absolutely love the dedication Alison Goodman shows for this historical era.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Days Pact.

December 21, 2018 – Shelved
February 23, 2019 – Shelved as: 5-stars
February 23, 2019 – Finished Reading
October 28, 2019 – Shelved as: fantasy
October 28, 2019 – Shelved as: young-adult

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Maggie ☘ (Wonderland-Reader) So glad you're enjoying this! ❤❤❤

Catherine Maggie wrote: "So glad you're enjoying this! ❤❤❤"

I love this! This series is so good!