Reading Wolf's Reviews > The Fault in Our Stars

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Jan 17, 2012

bookshelves: author-male, big-brother, 01cbre-library, 2012-releases, melancholy-serious, realistic-contemporary, romance-in-the-summary
Read in July, 2014

I did not cry. Everyone says "This book made me cry" but like always I am the exception. This once again proves that something is broken and wrong with me emotionally. A heartless ice queen.

I did greatly enjoy this book. The sadness of the tale was well paced and sincere. The love story of two kids who know how precious life and the little moments can truly be, never to be taken lightly.

Augustus seems the male version of the often seen "manic pixie dream girl" always full of light and sunshine and happiness. Hazel is the more earthbound protagonist of this story. At times I disliked her attitude and pretentious inner dialogue. But combined the duo forms a snarky, hilarious couple. Many moments of mine were spent laughing internally over their reactions to life.

The secondary characters were well formed and thankfully not just filler. They add quality to the story. They also added grounding to a story that could have been just your average teen romance if the word cancer never appeared. They are reminders that these teens are/have been sick. Seriously sick.

That being said, I get why people cry reading the book. I just cannot feel the emotions myself.

Quotes Reading Wolf Liked

John Green
“As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.”
John Green, The Fault in Our Stars