Nicole's Reviews > We Told Six Lies

We Told Six Lies by Victoria Scott

bookshelves: 2018, arc, hetero, mystery, realistic-fiction, ya-lit

I received this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

3.5 stars rounded up to 4 because math. Spoilers and swearing in the review.

We Told Six Lies is a dark and psychologically twisty realistic fiction story about Cobain (nothing realistic about that name) and Molly. Cobain is the school outcast and Molly is the new kid, who has a super dark hidden past. However, one day, Molly disappears and Cobain is desperate to find his missing girlfriend - but is she really his girlfriend? And did she disappear or was she taken?

This book got me good. I thought I had guessed the plot twist about a quarter of the way into the book, only to find out that I was oh-so deliciously wrong. This is a great example of how amazing an unreliable narrator can be. Halfway through, when it starts looking like Cobain is bumfuck crazy, I started second guessing if Molly was even a real person or if Cobain had made her up in his head (spoiler alert: she's real. I think.).

At first, Molly starts off a little crazy and very manipulative, but as you learn more about her, she becomes a little sympathetic. Her ending isn't 100% realistic and nicely tied up, but at the end of the day, this story isn't really about her and her Issues, it's about Cobain and his Issues. And Cobain is a likeable enough character, even if he is fucking insane. He does stupid boy stuff and while I did find myself curious as to why the hell he wasn't in jail for some of the other stuff he did, in Real Life, not everyone gets what they deserve either.

I'm curious as to why the novel is called We Told Six Lies. The author tried to tie the title in at the end of the story, but that attempt didn't quite work for me. Believe me, there are way more than 6 lies in the story, and not all the lies were told by Molly and/or Cobain. The book could possibly use a better title, though I think some potential readers may be intrigued by trying to figure out what those six lies were.

If you like your characters a little dark and manipulative and your narrators a fuckton unreliable, then I would definitely give this book a try when it comes out in 2019. It starts off a little slow, but give it time and you're in for a twisty story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Told Six Lies.

December 21, 2018 – Started Reading