Sharon's Reviews > The Book That Made Me

The Book That Made Me by Judith Ridge

U 50x66

liked it

The title was similar to another one I was looking up in my library catalog and intrigued me so I checked it out. Turns out it is a collection of essays by writers (of childrens/young adult books) living in New Zealand and Australia. The essays are about these favorite authors favorite or most meaningful books - often from childhood. While I didn't recognize most of the authors it was interesting to see points of view on books from another part of the world. Often they read books set in America and England as children. The interesting part for me was reading how that life was so different from their own - unfortunately, they often didn't say what made their lives so different since they were writing for more of a home audience (not me who experienced and American childhood).

I was losing interest part way through the book and thought about stopping since they were distinct essays so I didn't need to know how a plot ended. However, I'm glad I kept going because one of the later essays I enjoyed and connected with by Brigid Lowry. Plus, Julia Lawrinson wrote about how she "Obsessively identifying with books" which led her to do what I appreciate about books, it allowed her to "identify with people whose experiences were far removed from our own, to inhabit the skin of another for a short, imaginative while."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book That Made Me.

Started Reading