seanat (elka)'s Reviews > The Bellwether Revivals

The Bellwether Revivals by Benjamin Wood

Jan 17, 2012

bookshelves: kindle, 2012
Read from January 17 to 19, 2012

Described as part The Secret History and part Brideshead Revisited - well how could I resist?
Oscar is a care assistant in an nursing home who is drawn, despite being an atheist, to a church by its organ music. There he is irresistably attracted to Iris a Cambridge medical student and introduced to her enigmatic brother Eden and a small elite group of priviledged hangers-on.
Reality dawns on Oscar ,as he falls in love with Iris, that her brother is a deeply disturbed character who believes himself gifted with the ability to heal others with his organ music. Is this true or is he delusional and suffering from a 'God Complex'?
Mainly character driven this is a compelling and suspenseful story that is hard to put down particularly as the first page begins with a tragic event - how it came about then follows. The characters were well drawn,though not particularly likeable and the priviledged world of the Bellwether's and their selfish preoccupations were fascinating.
I very much enjoyed this debut novel and thanks to NetGalley for sending it to me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bellwether Revivals.

message 1: by Marie (new) - added it

Marie Another one to add to my wishlist - this sounds really good

Teresa According to my Kindle, I'm 78% done with this....I miss not seeing the actual pages left! I am loving it - did you notice the multiple cloves? ;-)