Zubee's Reviews > Not the Duke’s Darling

Not the Duke’s Darling by Elizabeth Hoyt

liked it

I have some seriously mixed feelings for this book. The story seemed to drag on a bit, which given that there were 2 central plots and a number of sub-plots on going, should have been impossible.
The author was trying to lay the foundations of future books in this series which at times felt too convoluted while there were bits in which the story dragged.
Overall, I found h to be a more enjoyable and engaging character than the H; in fact all female characters seemed more dominant in the book, from the h to the side characters. They got my focus more than the H did.
H, while portrayed as a decent man overall, seemed more beta and easily sidelined. He seemed a sad man, beaten down by life in general.
The intimate scenes, for all that they were rather erotic, seemed forced. As in, she seemed to be rather adventurous while he seemed to go along with her.
All these sub plots combined to make this book seem unfinished; granted this is a series but I prefer all books in a series to be capable of being independent. These MC's will not be the MC's in any other book so it would have felt better if their story seemed satisfactorily complete. It seemed that the author touched on many important parts, like H's experiences in India, h's family dynamics, etc. but didn't give enough page time to any, which left a slight feeling of frustration; I felt that I scratched the surface of the characters but wasn't able to see inside the h and was not interested in exploring H further.
However, I will wait for other books in the series, esp. Messalina Greycourt and the other ladies. They were rather interesting. Actually the camaraderie between the ladies was more relatable to chick lit than historical.
Elizabeth Hoyt's trademark light-hearted flirting tenderness between the main characters was missing from this book.
So for the h and all future h's in this series, 3 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not the Duke’s Darling.

December 20, 2018 – Shelved