Amaris (amarisafloria)'s Reviews > 10 Blind Dates

10 Blind Dates by Ashley Elston

bookshelves: read-in-2019, contemporary-ya

Sophie wants to spend winter break with her boyfriend, Griffin, at home, so she chooses to stay close by with Nonna and her extended family instead of visiting her pregnant sister with her parents. But the perfect plan changes quickly when Sophie ends up breaking up with Griffin after overhearing how he really feels about their relationship. To raise her spirits, Nonna comes up with an arrangement: ten different blind dates for Sophie, all chosen by her family members. Knowing her evil twin cousins and aunts with questionable taste, this will be a disaster—but Sophie agrees to it, and someone maybe catches her eye 😏

10 Blind Dates encompasses all aspects of a big family—the unconditional love, everybody in somebody's business, the overflow of support, etc. We get to see the good, the bad, the ugly, and everything in between. It might be difficult to keep track of each member in the beginning, but don't worry—it works out because of the way this story is told. Although we are following Sophie and a new date in each chapter, we also get to learn more about who chose her date and what their relationship with Sophie looks like. Even with Sophie talking to her sister over phone calls and text messages, we see them get closer and grow in love.

During her time at Nonna's, Sophie also gets a chance to repair some broken friendships. This is one of my favorite parts in 10 Blind Dates, because we learn the reason Sophie grew apart from them and see the perspectives of how each person felt. Basically, the situation was misinterpreted and we get to watch them confront it throughout the whole novel. I love that they were honest (which is often quite scary to be) and willing to hear each other out.

Why I didn't give 10 Blind Dates a full five stars:
(view spoiler)

Other than that, 10 Blind Dates is the perfect rom-com for this holiday season. I laughed out loud SO many times, mostly because Sophie is taken out of her comfort zone and is coerced to do many things she would never choose to do. But because of it, she becomes more "herself." It was definitely predictable, although not in a bad way. It's like when you know what the puzzle's going to look like in the end, but you still want to put it together. It was a really fun time, and I think it's going to be PERFECT as a Netflix movie—I can't wait!!! It's going to do so well.

Other random spoilers:
(view spoiler)

TL;DR: Read this if you want many good laughs and a family-centered story for the holidays!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 10 Blind Dates.

December 20, 2018 – Shelved