Watermelon Daisy's Reviews > The Distant Shore

The Distant Shore by Mariam Kobras

Jan 17, 2012

liked it

I liked the chemistry between Jon and Naiomi, and maybe it was the third-person-writing, but I never got close to them. They were always strangers through my eyes.

Jon was adorable in his "hopeless romantic" way, but at the same time, I found he was too outspoken for a male character. It's usually the female character who's all, "I love you!" and the male character would (stereotypically) grunt a reply. So I guess the whole story was a little hard to read, seeing as the two main characters couldn't and wouldn't hold my interest.

I think that, if I didn't promise to review this book, I'd put it down. And there were painfully slow moments in the book, where I would bookmark the page and do whatever else to avoid reading it. Which is definitely a bad sign for a book. But there's a special charm to this that, after the last page, I wished it would be longer.

Maybe I'll read the sequel. The reason this review was so late is mainly due to how I'm not sure what I feel about this book. And I still am not sure.

And though I liked the whole "rock star falls in love with normal, spunky girl" setting, there wasn't too much offered differently. It was the typical love story with its cheesy moments.

There's not much of a "suspense" added to this story. It was slow-moving for unnecessary reasons. Like stated above, I did everything possible to avoid some of the story. I think this is a story which adults would love but teenagers would put down as something.

I love the last line of the book.

Now, there are a lot of qualities attached to this book. But somehow, because it took me so long to get through the book, I can't remember them. It's like I read one chapter and a week later, I read another one. I hardly remember much of the story, and when this mysterious Sophie comes into the book, it takes me a while to remember who she is.

So yes. Dear Author: I don't mean to offend you in any kind of way. I'm just hoping my review might help you with your future writing. Please, for the love of humanity, make the story more to the point. It'll hold the reader's attention.

Like I said, this definitely wasn't a bad book. It was a good one.

I recommend it to adults, though. Romance-loving adults, specifically, as there is little of anything else.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Distant Shore.

January 17, 2012 – Shelved
February 11, 2012 – Started Reading
page 89
page 89
24.32% "It's so... different."
page 129