Book Lover's Reviews > Sleight of Hand

Sleight of Hand by Julie Rowe

Wow. I am so glad I am not a beer drinker!!

Dr. Gunner Anderson spent 3 years with Doctors Without Borders. He is left with depression and PTSD from his experiences. He currently works for the CDC’s Outbreak Task Force. He has gone through 3 partners in 6 months because he is impatient, undiplomatic and doesn’t suffer fools at all. He needs organization and the intense, long hours of his job to keep it together.

Joy Ashiro is a former military nurse with combat medic experience and PTSD issues of her own. She is a bit more diplomatic but doesn’t take crap from anyone. She is organized, efficient and very good about thinking on her feet and seeing the big picture.

These two are good together. They recognize the pain the other is carrying around, triggers and how to work each other down from the ledge. Both are organized, intense, focused personalities.

An e-coli outbreak at several frat houses leads to several deaths and a huge number of very sick people. Gunner and Joy are sent to investigate. E-coli is discovered on the beer kegs.

When the culprit is found, things start to go awry for me. The ending is rushed and felt incomplete and a bit jumbled. I was left with a WTH feeling. The author does a good job keeping you invested, eagerly reading, looking for the culmination of the story and when I got there, I felt let down and a bit confused. Threads were left hanging. I liked the previous book and I liked this one up to the end. I’m hoping this means the story continues in the next book and not just a rush to a not really finished finish line.

I voluntarily reviewed an ARC provided by NetGalley and the publisher.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sleight of Hand.

Started Reading