Tomsugi's Reviews > The Ten Commandments: What They Mean, Why They Matter, and Why We Should Obey Them

The Ten Commandments by Kevin DeYoung

U 50x66

Kevin DeYoung, The Ten Commandments: What They Mean, Why They Matter, and Why We Should Obey Them (Wheaton, IL: Crossway, 2018)

Kevin DeYoung provides a practical exposition of the Ten Commandments from Exodus 20 and shows how these ancient Israelite laws are still applicable to Christians today. He provides a brief introduction and epilogue, then spends a chapter expounding each commandment.

DeYoung writes like a pastor and preached much of this material in the local church. He is careful to thoroughly explain each commandment, then to offer ideas for application as well. In the chapter on honoring parents, he takes the time to speak directly to children. In the chapter on murder, he tackles tough topics such as suicide, abortion, and medically-assisted euthanasia. In the chapter on stealing, he shows how we are not as guiltless of theft as we think. Over and over, he demonstrates practical ways we can obey or disobey God’s Ten Commandments. For each chapter, he concludes the conversation with gospel truths.

I was most helped by his chapter on the Sabbath which emphasizes the important priorities of worship and rest. He addresses some of the more difficult questions about practicing the Sabbath by focusing on the purpose of the Lord’s Day. His position challenged my own thinking and teaching on the subject, but he is gracious enough to recognize that many Christians have varied ways of observing the Sabbath.

The final chapter on coveting opened my eyes by describing this commandment as a summary of all ten. Coveting prevents us from loving God because of discontentment and from loving our neighbor because of jealousy. DeYoung shows how this commandment reveals the idolatrous desires of the heart and how this heart focus distinguishes the Ten Commandments from all other ancient moral law codes.

One concern is that although his theology is consistently biblical, DeYoung sometimes relies on the Heidelberg Catechism instead of Scripture to structure his thoughts. This may be disconcerting to the reader who is not from a catechetical tradition. It may have been helpful to provide more context before discussing these catechisms.

DeYoung also includes a helpful study guide for personal or small group study, a general index, and a Scripture index. Overall, this is a very helpful book for both pastors and laypersons.

* Crossway has provided a complimentary copy of this book through the Blog Review Program.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ten Commandments.

Finished Reading