C.G. Drews's Reviews > Wicked Fox

Wicked Fox by Kat Cho

bookshelves: 4-star, magical-fantasy, paranormal, read-2019, young-adult

Oh, this I loved! It was so quintessentially YA that I was just all heart-eyes over the flow of the whole story. From the super fun beginning, to the way it lovingly bundled my heart into a ball and thREW IT IN A FIRE by the end. Like this was hard hitting emotionally? Angst and dramatic and snarky and fun, full of sacrifice and true love, mythology and the discussion of what makes a monster, and absolutely messed up families you hate and love all at once. It had it all. And I just had a thoroughly good time reading this.

Me: [battered up and bleeding by the emotional gymnastics I just went through]
Me: I had a good !!! time !!! reading this!!!

It's centred around the Korean folklore of the gumiho -- the nine-tailed fox who must eat the gi of its victims to live. Monster lore is my favourite okay. Gah, I just love all the questions and the moral discussions. If you murder an evil man, does that make you evil? If you will die unless you kill others, are you morally responsible for their deaths still? Miyoung is working her way through all these questions. She hates her monstrous side, but it's also her family and culture and life. Her mum is COLD and hard, but she does everything for her daughter. Is her mother a monster for literally choosing to kill anyone to keep her daughter safe?

I also loved all the pockets of gumiho lore between the chapters!!

Also the characters were just [chef's kiss] adorable. I love them.
Look it has my favourite trope: bubbly sunshiney boy befriends the grumpy could-definitely-kill-you girl. They are ADORABLE. Jihoon was so dogged with his offer of friendship. And look there were so many layers here to make you cry. Jihoon having been abandoned all his life and being affable to offset his trauma and choosing not to stand by when Miyoung was bullied. He accidentally finds out her secrets and he treats them so respectfully. And Miyoung, just wanting to protect herself from hurt because she's a monster and doesn't want him do die...ajafskdl THE ANGST.

Miyoung watches a lot of Korean dramas to fill the friendless void in her life ("Oh!" the book reviewer laughs as they type this review and looks at how much they read for similar reasons!) and like the whole book was pretty drama-y at times. Especially with a few reveals at the end. But I freaking loved the style.

Basically this is filled my craving of needing a solidly good book. It has monsters and foklore, a whole collection of my favourite tropes, an epic grandson and grandma relationship, delicious food, a secondary character who was so cocky and never shut up (kinda love Junu ngl), and drama and actually quite a lot of blood. I had a fab time. Jinhoon and Miyoung 😭💛 MY SHIP.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Fox.

December 19, 2018 – Shelved
December 19, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
October 22, 2019 – Started Reading
October 25, 2019 –
page 118
27.51% "Ok this is super fun with the grumpy deadly girl and the soft happy boy trying to be friends with her 😍"
October 26, 2019 – Shelved as: 4-star
October 26, 2019 – Shelved as: magical-fantasy
October 26, 2019 – Shelved as: paranormal
October 26, 2019 – Shelved as: read-2019
October 26, 2019 – Shelved as: young-adult
October 26, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Angel (huge fan of all things Totoro) How is the ending? Cliffhanger, or no?