Fanna's Reviews > To Best the Boys

To Best the Boys by Mary  Weber

72205668
To Best The Boys is a story that gives you a strong, intelligent, brave, aspirational female character, loads of understandable science, growing relationships and ardent friendships, humanity, and extreme thrill and anticipation.

What doesn't kill you makes you compelling.

The plot is exciting with a lot of things at stake and the evident imbalance of respect between the Uppers and Lowers urging Rhen, the daughter of a scientist father and a mother who is bed-ridden with the 'crippling disease' (a lung disease that gradually kills), to win the scholarship competition and enter the Labyrinth.

The best theme explored in this book is certainly feminism. Rhen's attitude to the societal norms is challenging and gives her a fiery aura to stand tall and strong in a competition that has only ever been played by boys. Not only this, her parents and friends never suspect her energy for equality and in fact, support her feministic views by pitching in their own righteous thoughts.

"They feared she'd be a distraction." She snorts. "Apparently your feminine wiles are capable of making them idiots, Rhen."

Another strength of the story is its relationships. Whether it's Rhen and her parents or Rhen and Seleni (her best friend and cousin), the characters have tons of strings attached and no reader can complain because it pulls all the emotions out of you. The science is nothing that one can't understand and not because it's 'easy' but because it's wonderfully incorporated into the plot and explained through excellent writing that makes it easy to understand. Being a fan of adventures and puzzles in books, I found the race through the maze to be a stunning collection of thrilling incidents and surprising events.

"That makes me sound like the crazy ocean with all its sirens and storms."
A funny look flashes across his face. "Why do you think I love it so much?

Quotes are from an advanced reading copy so may differ from the final release. I received a digital copy of this via Netgalley but that, in no way, influence my rating and/or review. Thank you, Mary Weber and Thomas Nelson books!

Initial Reaction: OMG. This book is a feminist and it doesn't even try. The science and adventure and thrill is outstanding and only I know the level of resistance I had to accomplish to not continue reading it in between my lectures at university.

Buddy read with Nika @prettylittlebibliophile and Gayatri @per_fictionist!

LISTS OR POSTS I'VE MENTIONED THIS BOOK IN:

March 2019 - Ten Books To Look Out For This Month

Blog/Website | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram | Pinterest

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To Best the Boys.

December 19, 2018 – Shelved
December 19, 2018 – Shelved as: arc
January 31, 2019 – Shelved as: february-2019-tbr
March 26, 2019 – Started Reading
March 26, 2019 –
5.0% "[What doesn't kill you makes you compelling.]"
March 26, 2019 –
12.0% "[She's the socialite and I'm the proletarian scientist. Meaning, she likes to talk about thrilling things happening. I like to experience them.]"
March 27, 2019 –
30.0% "The classism and sexism in this story is sooo high but OMG, I love Rhen for being this woke, strong female."
March 27, 2019 –
56.0% "[Because I'm not doing anything wrong. I'm just tired of feeling like the way things are is the only way they can ever be.]"
March 28, 2019 –
March 28, 2019 –
80.0% "THE MAZE! OMG, it's one hell of an adventure."
March 29, 2019 – Shelved as: female-author