Book of Secrets's Reviews > The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek

The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson

Cussy Mary was such a compelling and unique character in this novel set in depression-era Kentucky. I warmed to her and her amazing story right away. ♥

Part of President Roosevelt's plan to bring jobs to struggling rural areas was the Pack Horse Library Project. Working for this program, Cussy and her mule delivered second-hand books to the poorest of mountain folks surrounding Troublesome Creek.

Cussy was called Bluet by many locals because of the uncommon color of her skin. She was a descendant of the blue-skinned people of Kentucky, and she faced cruelty and discrimination because of it. This book brilliantly brought to life what was going on in this time and place, all the hardships and hopes of this impoverished mining community.

THE BOOK WOMAN OF TROUBLESOME CREEK was a wonderful & emotional journey, and I loved it! Cussy the Book Woman is a character who will stay with you long after finishing this absorbing piece of Southern historical fiction.

Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek.

December 19, 2018 – Shelved
Started Reading
May 11, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Selena (new)

Selena Wonderful review!

message 2: by Marilyn (new) - added it

Marilyn Great review. I have wanted to read this book for a while. It sounds interesting. I love learning about various times in history that I had little knowledge about. Thanks for sharing.

message 3: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine So pleased to see your 5 stars, BOS. I just added this one to my list!

message 4: by Carolyn (new) - added it

Carolyn Fascinating. Sounds like a good one. Adding it to my list. Great review!

message 5: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Excellent review!