Melanie's Reviews > Bound

Bound by Mark  Lawrence

bookshelves: arc, novellas-and-short-stories, fantasy, read-in-2018, lgbtqiap, magic, romance

ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.

1.) Red Sister ★★★★★
2.) Grey Sister ★★★★★

“But the fact is that few people are able to see value in the words of someone they truly dislike. Have your own opinions spoken back to you by someone you despise and you will likely begin to find fault.”

This short story is set six months after the heartbreaking and harrowing events of Grey Sister! This would be a very difficult short story to review if I couldn’t talk about the events that happened in Red Sister and Grey Sister, so please make sure you are up to date with this series before reading this review!

But wow, what an early holiday treat. This was a short story filled with action, suspense, and girls kissing! And, dare I say, perhaps the start of a polyamorous relationship? But this is an amazing little story about a mini murder mystery that involves the poisoning of some very wealthy and powerful people, and the poison is being implemented in a way that is impressing even master assassins. And Ara is just the person for the job to go undercover at a party full of nobles, considering her social status, but she will have the help of Regol.

But first, she has to brush up on her kissing skills. And what better partner than Nona? If you’ve read my review for Grey Sister then you should know that I very much ship Nona and Ara together, and I was scared with Regol rejoining the picture, because I know he has feelings for Nona. Friends, I did not expect the polyamorous vibes that Mark Lawrence was serving me in this short story, but it is truly all I wanted for the holidays! Oh, my word, the blessings.

“And it’s not like I don’t know how much trouble one little kiss can lead to...”

But anyways, Ara and Regol are off to try and solve the mystery, while Nona is able to somewhat tag along because of a special bond she has with Ara. And friends, I have too many feelings right now. I’m soft, I’m weak, and I’m so in love with these characters. This is my favorite short story of 2018, easily.

Overall, I’m just so damn in love with this series. I loved getting this small glimpse of Nona and the gang, and I can’t wait for more! At this point, I would commit a minor felony to get an arc of Holy Sister! This really is such a once in a lifetime series, and I really recommend everyone picking it up. I mean, warrior, magical, assassin nuns, who many of are queer? I can’t think of anything I’d rather read.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

The quotes above were taken from an ARC and are subject to change upon publication.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bound.

December 19, 2018 – Started Reading
December 19, 2018 – Shelved as: lgbtqiap
December 19, 2018 – Shelved as: magic
December 19, 2018 – Shelved as: romance
December 19, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Shelby M. (new) - added it

Shelby M. (Read and Find Out) Ahhh I also ship Nona with Ara! I can't wait to read this.

Melanie Shelby M. wrote: "Ahhh I also ship Nona with Ara! I can't wait to read this."

You're going to LOVE this so much, Shelby! Happy reading and happy holidays, sweetheart! 💖xx

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Lovely review Melanie!