Maggie61's Reviews > All Fall Down

All Fall Down by Megan Hart

Jan 16, 2012

bookshelves: maggies-favourites, read-2012-maggies-100-for-2012
Read in January, 2012

This is the first book that I have read of Megan hart's. I would probably have given it a 4 1/2 but since there are no halves I bumped it up to five.
This book had me from the very beginning when Sunny is awoken by her mother who sends her and her three children away before they "drink the rainbow" which sends them away to everlasting peace through the gates but as we know it, a mass suicide at a time decided by the leader.
Sunny is given the address of a father she never knew existed and he also is unaware of their existence. Sunny arrives on the doorstep of her father Christopher and stepmother who so far have been unable to have children.
Trying to imagine what their new world must seem to them is staggering. When they have been brainwashed to think a certain way their whole lives they as the only survivors are thrown into a new world with publicity and new rules and a whole new way of thinking. From raising her children and living with a father she never knew to getting a job to dating Sunny struggles with the new way of life but has a hard time letting go of her beliefs she has known all her life. Mix that with a stepmother hungry for children who quits her job and discovers this could be way more than she bargained for.
I did find the ending a little abrupt. There isn't a lot of indication that Sunny's decision will happen. Although she does have some repeat exposure to others originally from the compound who left to follow another set of rules the reader is given the impression that while forever scarred by her past she is adjusting to life on the outside. One has to wonder then what her future holds when so many of her thoughts still revolve around her upbringing. I
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All Fall Down.