Sedona Hutton's Reviews > Sean Roberts

Sean Roberts by F.L. Ruby

Sean Roberts by FL Ruby is one of the best written, most intriguing books I’ve ever read. I thoroughly enjoyed the blend of history, fiction, and thoughtful themes.

The story centers around professor, Sean Roberts, who is down on his luck after a divorce that leaves him nearly penniless. The bright light in Sean’s life is his fiancé, Phoebe, and his large family. Sean begins to have lucid dreams that feel so real it’s as if he’s experiencing the events in history right along with his Irish relatives. Ruby masterfully weaves back and forth between the real world and the dream-world until the two ultimately collide.

Sean’s dreams span centuries and are at times horrific, and other times, hopeful. As Sean’s dreams intensify and expand into daylight, they interfere with his life, including his relationship with Phoebe.

The story includes much Irish-English history, delivered through Sean’s dreams. Was this history fact or fiction? It’s likely a blend of both considering that history (as we know it) is scribed by the victors. Ruby paints a vivid picture of prejudice, hatred, and war as well as horrendous acts that are carried out in the name of God. But hope, connection, and love are also woven throughout Sean’s dreams and the broader story.

The story caused me to ponder what’s real and what’s make-believe. Most of us consider the material world, the world that we live in, to be all that’s real. Sean Roberts made me wonder whether our dream state is also real. There are schools of thought that believe the dream state is every bit as real as our waking state, and that it simply takes place in a different level of consciousness. After reading Sean Roberts, I buy into that premise.

Sean Roberts is filled with unexpected twists and turns that engaged me from page one to the very end. Ruby delivers a happy ending—a huge plus from my perspective. Even better, the story left me with positivity through its two key themes—“love conquers all” and “we’re all connected.”

A 5-star, highly recommended read!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sean Roberts.

November 15, 2018 – Started Reading