Sandra Jeffs's Reviews > Dark Paradise

Dark Paradise by Tami Hoag

did not like it

I am banning this novel and banning any Tami Hoag novels from my reading list. This is in spite of the fact that she is a very good writer who can weave a great tale of suspense and mystery. However, her portrayal in this book of a sexual abuser as just “an honest, truthful, and good man” who was flawed, is beyond unconscionable.
The first time the main character met this man, JD, he verbally and sexually intimidated her by getting up in her face and declaring he was going to f**k her. The second time she met him he continued to verbally abuse her and then grabbed her and kissed her to prove he meant what he said. Yes, he was honest about his intentions, which just said he showed his true colors as a sexual predator. I continued reading thinking the guy would become the evil villain of the story, but no, Hoag has the main character attracted to him!
I realize that this happens in BAD romance stories, which can even have a guy rape a woman and she still falls for him and a torrid romance ensues. This idea that an abusive man can turn out to be a good guy is criminal brainwashing that has to be eliminated from our culture.
Hoag does go on to try to develop the character as a tortured and repressed man, but it was tainted by her opening scenes with the guy. The fact that a best-selling author would do this and get the book into the hands of thousands (millions?) is heinous. We women, and men, have to stop believing it is okay for men to behave that way, ever. No truly good man would ever do what Hoag has this character do at the beginning. DO NOT READ THIS BOOK.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Paradise.

December 5, 2018 – Started Reading