Robin's Reviews > Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir

Save Me the Plums by Ruth Reichl

bookshelves: kindle-drc, 2019-april, 2019-pub, memoir-autobio, food-nonfiction

My love affair with Ruth Reichl's memoirs began with "Tender At the Bone" which chronicled her tumultuous childhood with her mentally ill mother. The second book that continued her career in the food world was "Comfort Me With Apples and for some reason, I found this book a little flat, but then she wrote "Garlic and Sapphires" and I was entranced. Her stories about being a food critic for the NY Times and how she had to constantly disguise herself was fascinating, and even though I will most likely never get the chance to eat many of the foods she critiqued, the descriptions were out of this world. Then I wasn't very impressed with "My Kitchen Year" about how cooking saved her life after she lost her job as Gourmet magazine's editor.

So I was a little apprehensive about reading this next memoir but it turned out to an engaging look at her life as Gourmet magazine's editor. I adore books with details about the inner-workings of any kind of job and the processes and day-to-day details of how the magazine operated were riveting, although there were times Ruth was a little too detailed in her physical descriptions of her staff and bosses (but I did find myself googling images to see what they really looked like) and I got a little confused over who was who on the staff. Ruth also interwove stories about her personal life (both marriage and parents) and hearing how her son evolved into a gourmet was heart-warming.

I think anyone who loved Gourmet magazine and is still grieving its demise or just want to find out the operations of a high-end magazine will find this as fascinating as I did.

Thanks to the publisher (Penguin Random House) for the advance reading copy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Save Me the Plums.

December 18, 2018 – Shelved