Taryn's Reviews > Miracle Creek

Miracle Creek by Angie  Kim

it was ok

There is no denying Angie Kim is a talented writer. I was engaged and deeply invested in this story right from the beginning, but there were too many things that just made me uncomfortable for me to really love this.

First and foremost, I'm not really sure what Kim wanted the reader to take out of the story. I think it was supposed to be a heart-wrenching, eye-opening reminder to live in the moment and appreciate what you have, but y'all. The ableism in this was. Ouch.

I'm sorry, but I can not make myself feel one iota of empathy for a character who willingly harms her child because she wants to feel a bit of control. I know that being a parent to a disabled child comes with its challenges, but can we please stop portraying disabled children as burdens?! The disabled children/characters in this story were not at all developed, they were merely props for the parents to discuss and be horrible to.

Also. I can't believe this even needs to be said, but vaccines do not cause autism. I was absolutely beside myself when there was an (unchallenged) paragraph in here about IV chelation being defended because it can cure affects (such as autism) of vaccines. This is wilful misinformation and so fucking harmful.

Furthermore, I hated how the protesters of the HBOT submarine were villanised right through to the end. We are supposed to feel sympathy for parents who wish their disabled children dead at times, but we're supposed to hate protesters saying that there's nothing wrong with disabled people??? Give me a break.

I appreciated Kim's extraordinary talent for writing, and I appreciated how masterfully the events of the explosion came together. But how well this was written doesn't negate the fact that I just cannot get on board with what I felt the message of this book was. Feel free to disagree, and I'm definitely in the minority here, but I'm sick of seeing disabled characters be dehumanised, abused and killed in literature whilst I'm supposed to feel sorry for the parent of said disabled child because the disabled child is such a "burden." Ugh.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miracle Creek.

December 18, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
December 18, 2018 – Shelved
May 14, 2019 – Started Reading
May 20, 2019 –
page 254
71.15% "What the fuck?! Is this book seriously saying that vaccines can cause autism??????"
May 20, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Keren I just wrote a long winded review that pretty much stated what you did in way too many words. I agree with 100% of this! It is shocking to me that more readers did not pick up on these themes. And the vaccine paragraph... UGH.

Karen (idleutopia_reads) I did love this book but I so appreciate your perspective and also that you articulated a lot of my feelings over some books I have recently read. "But how well this was written doesn't negate the fact that I just cannot get on board with what I felt the message of this book was." I have felt this sentiment so many times but never knew how to say it. Thanks for sharing your insightful and thoroughly thoughtful review.

message 3: by Christine (new) - added it

Christine I completely agree with you.

Lauren Taylor Wow thank you for expressing exactly how I felt about this

Leslie Exactly. I feel the very same. I had issues with this book given I am an adult patient with chronic pain. Plus reading it as an audio book was not the best experience unfortunately.

Pamela Hill I agree with. you about the paragraph about autism & vaccines! I literally almost wrote something inside my library book in that section!

Calico Though I really enjoyed the writing and characterisation in this book, your review really sums up the lingering discomfort i had with it. The fact that neither the protesters nor the kids were given any voice or POV chapters really felt like it skewed the perspective of the book (whether or not Kim intended it). Also the extent to which Elizabeth was portrayed as pitiable, and her actions 'understandable', really didn't sit right with me. Thanks for writing this review.

Stephanie Thank you for your review. I was feeling like I was the only one that was having an issue with how the kids are portrayed and I'm glad to know that I'm not alone. I had such high hopes for this book, but it fell way short.

message 9: by Jen (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jen Plot Well said. Also, I honestly wasn’t impressed with the writing. So much stating the obvious - I actually checked a few times to see if it was actually meant to be YA. Perhaps I’m a snob, but I think it’s completely overrated.

Kimberly Im so glad someone else was mad about this!!! I have a keen interest in modern day medical pseuodscience so I already knew about a lot of the "therapies" mention and how horrible/utterly useless they are, and I kept waiting and waiting and waiting for a character to put the defense attorney and all those crunchy moms on blast like the protestor with the bob but they made HER out to be a bad guy in the book?? I had to grit my teeth to get through a lot of it.

Also, the story of Henry "recovering" from autism made 0 sense. He had textbook behaviors as a small child... and retained textbook behaviors all the way through. So misdiagnosis made 0 sense, too. That's aside from the fact that they weren't very well appreciated as people throughout the story.

Sorry for the rant but all the same things drove me insane and I scrolled through like a 100 reviews before I found any echoing a similar sentiment

Hayley Cianca Took the words right out of my mouth, thanks for this great review!